Quadra Island - Part 2


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Haskin Trail Haskin Trail Haskin Trail

The trees seem to go on forever.
August 5/6/7, 2013



Each day we wake to glorious weather and each day we’re beginning to take it for granted - which is not a good thing to do in British Columbia. But we reassure ourselves that we are making excellent use of the weather. We are (apart from a few hours in the morning spent either working or school work) on holiday and so we get out and about and enjoy the sun.

We find more beautiful spots on Quadra (it would be hard not to) and, with the help of the local Quadra Island Hiking Trails map (sold for $2 in order to help with the upkeep of trails etc), we find a few hikes.

One (Haskin Farm Trail) is just a 1.5 km trail that leads through beautiful forest before descending steeply to the rocky beach and panoramic views over Sutil Channel and the outer islands.

Another longer hike leads us uphill to Beech’s Mountain (465m). It’s a 6km round trip and fairly steep in places but again the views are worth every step. We can see clearly over to the Coast Range Mountains on the mainland on one side and the mountains of Vancouver Island on the other. Dotted between are the many islands that make this such a beautifully picturesque and photogenic place.

A couple of kayaks are at our disposal for the week so we mix up the hiking with a spot of paddling and take it in turns to explore the little harbor closest to our chalet. We paddle around a tiny island and every now and again a seal pops his head out of the water but is too shy to come too close.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hiking up Beech's MtnHiking up Beech's Mtn
Hiking up Beech's Mtn

Half way up...


10th August 2013
Hiking up Beech's Mtn

Just had to say what beautiful pictures you have on the site and how we are enjoying reading the blog - very jealous mind you!!
12th August 2013
Hiking up Beech's Mtn

Thanks Mum! Just about to post another blog & pics about our first full day in Sooke.

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.2109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb