Quadra Island - Rebecca Spit Provincial Park


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 4, 2013

We wake to another beautiful day in British Columbia on the lovely island of Quadra. The view from the deck is outstanding and as we sit and eat breakfast we can hear the hoarse, cawing cry of the crows chattering to each other.

It’s difficult to drag ourselves away from the view as the morning sun gently warms us so we stay a while longer. After a busy week in downtown Vancouver it seems right to slow things down a bit on Quadra. It’s Sunday; we’ve got our books, the boys are happy with their iPads and as a result it’s gone midday by the time we finally set out to explore further afield.

Our first stop is the Tru-Value supermarket in Heriot Bay. It’s not Safeway but it’ll do nicely for the time we’re here. We buy Graham Crackers, giant marshmallows and chocolate - the ingredients for s’mores - with the intention of having a campfire later on.

Obviously we don’t limit our shop to sugary treats but also add foods that will make good use of the huge BBQ sitting out on our deck. And with our shop packed away in a
cool bag (looks like it’s going to be quite hot today) we head off to investigate Rebecca Spit Provincial Park.

We park up at the beginning of the spit next to the beach and what a glorious beach it is too. This place is unbelievably stunning. An azure sky stretches out over an ultramarine sea that washes over the large pebbles of the beach. Backed by the tall, elegant Douglas Firs, what completes the picture are the pale beige coloured logs tumbling over the upper parts of the beach. They invoke an image of giant pick-up sticks randomly tossed from their tube.

The scene is so picturesque the camera shutter is constantly clicking as we fill up the memory card.

The boys balance across the logs, arms outstretched, as they spot tiny orange crabs (all dead and so fragile they crumble into dust when broken). They pick up small pieces of the soft wood, talking of how they will whittle them into something interesting when they get back.

We walk the length of Rebecca Spit to the miniature lighthouse at the end and back down through the tiny forest that runs through the middle. The delightful
stony beaches stretch out to the inviting clear waters on each side of us. But as beautiful and serene as it is out here our lovely chalet and in particular that deck and view beckons us and, once back at the car, we head home.

One barbeque later and we are stuffed with pork kebabs, chicken drumsticks and ceasar salad. But with a little room left we cook s’mores over the fire pit at the bottom of the garden and then retire inside as darkness falls. As yet we’re not sure what the insects are like here but we’ve been bitten quite enough already not to make the same mistake again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement




Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb