Day 1 on Quadra Island


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lazy SunsetLazy SunsetLazy Sunset

On Quadra Island
August 3, 2013

A shame to leave our wonderful condo in False Creek but it’s a rather nice feeling to know we’re a long way off going home. Today we head over to Vancouver Island and from there to Quadra Island.

It’s usually ok not to book BC Ferries from the mainland to Vancouver Island but this is the August long weekend in Canada and as such it is probably worth booking. Unfortunately we didn’t - until a few days ago that is - and as a result have no choice but to journey down south to Tsawwassen for our ferry across to Nanaimo instead of going north from Horseshoe Bay. After our initial panic on discovering this it turns out there isn’t any difference in the cost and not much in the journey time either (slightly longer but who cares when there’s always the chance of seeing a whale!) and besides, I prefer the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen!

We have gorgeous weather for the crossing (although disappointingly fail to see any wildlife. I think that’s probably the case most of the time but we have previously seen whales so the hope that we might again is with us every subsequent crossing we make).

From Nanaimo we have a 170 km drive to Campbell River. The road is easy and clear so in no time at all we arrive and catch our 10 minute ferry to the island of Quadra.

Quadra Island is part of the Discovery Islands and about 35km in length with a population of around 2 ½ thousand.

We travel about 5 minutes up the coast to our holiday house. A lovely A-frame chalet called Lazy Sunset with the most amazing views out over the inlet. As we watch the sun set over the water we conclude that this will be a perfect place to spend our second week in BC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb