Yoho


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
August 17th 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After recharging our spirits during two nights in Banff, we headed to Yoho National Park for the sweetest kind of backcountry camping....the kind you take a bus to. Lake O’Hara can only be reached on foot or via the Park shuttle bus. There is a 30 site campground there and a posh lodge (~$600 a room). We opted for the $30 campsite, and it was worth it. After getting off the bus, we nabbed a tent site and then were free to dayhike around the amazing lakes and mountains. We went to MacArthur Lake the first afternoon and the views of mtns in all directions were fantastic. You get the impression you’re on the top of the world, but not in the stupid Leo DeCaprio way from Titanic, but in a much more literal sense. The turquoise hue of the lakes defies belief and there were many marmots afoot. The mountains look like they’ve been dusted in powdered sugar. The weather wasn’t particularly great, and we had hoped for warmer days, as it was mid-August. No such luck, but we couldn’t really complain. The next day we hiked all around on the alpine trails, basically circling O’Hara Lake from high above…probably one of the single most spectacular days of the whole trip. Plus our tomato, avocado, cheese bagel sandwiches were really tasty. After another cold night, we boarded the morning shuttle to get back to our truck for the drive back into the States.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb