Well On Our Way


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
July 17th 2007
Published: July 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 July 14, 2007 Miles traveled 450
We departed Baraboo, Wisconsin at 8:00 AM July 14th on our long anticipated journey to Alaska. We had an uneventful trip out of Wisconsin and across Minnesota. Our first stop was at the Gjersvig farm near Detroit Lakes. We had a wonderful meal with Mom Gjersvig, Karen, Gary and Harold. Creamed peas and new potatoes from the garden with mom’s baked beans and Wisconsin brats and beer filled us up. We camped next to the barn where Wayne milked his last cow about 40 years ago.

Wild life count - 3 white tail deer and 2 dead cats.

Day 2 July 15 Miles traveled 650 Total miles 1,100
Got an early start and headed North and West across the wheat and barley fields of western Minnesota and eastern North Dakota. Crossed the Red River into North Dakota at Grand Forks. Stopped for fuel in Minot and picked up a geocache at the air-museum. Wayne’s grandparents (Cook) owned a farm north of Minot. My sister Bonnie, who is the family genealogist, gave me information on the township and section where the farm was located. SE ¼ of section 17 of Grassland Township, Renville County. We did find the building site. There is just an old barn and the foundation of a house left. Also located the 80 acres that my grandmother owned and that the family still owns the oil and gas rights. There is an oil well about 1 mile northwest of that property. Maybe some day?

We crossed the Canadian boarder and continued to drive to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Camped for the night at Buffalo Pound Provincial Park.

Wildlife count - 1 pheasant and only 1 dead cat.

Day 3 July 16 Miles traveled 567 Total miles 1,667
We awoke to a rain shower at 5:30 Central Standard Time. It happened to be Mountain Time where we camped. We headed out any way and hoped we could find a gas station since the old truck was in a need of a fill-up. Got to Chamberlin, SK at 6:00 AM and the 2 stations that sold diesel were not open. We were told that the old guy who ran one station opened anywhere from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM. Fortunately he showed up at 7:15 and pumped $103.00 of fuel into the tank. Started to warm up so turned on the air conditioner. An hour later we smelled smoke so pulled over and checked things out. The A/C compressor belt was slipping. The rebuilt compressor must have been a dud! Hope we don't get toomuch heat.

We were amazed at the endless green wheat and yellow canola fields on our drive to Saskatoon. We managed to get to Edmonton at rush hour. Al said it was a lot like driving in Chicago. We made it to White Court, Alberta, 100miles North of Edmonton, where we camped for the night at Sagitawah Camp Grounds.

Wildlife count - Lots of ducks and white pelicans in the prairie potholes and a herd of buffalo inside a fence near Edmonton.


Advertisement



17th July 2007

Hot Wheels
I hope for cool weather for you. Tell me you didn't pick-up that hobo you saw along the road.
19th July 2007

How's the AK Hwy?
Glad to hear all is going well. Dad had many nightmares about Edmonton after being lost and following Jim for hours around the city. Hope the frost heaves after Tok aren't as bad as usual. They are worse for the passenger so hang on Al!
29th July 2007

In Glennallen
We bypassed the rough road nearbetween Whitehorse and Tok by going to Dawson City and taking the Top of the World Highway. That road wasn't goo,but we didn't expect a good road. We tried fishing the Gulkana at the Richardson Highway bridge. No luck. One fellow their said he had seen some Reds swimming by. WE are staying at the Tolsona Wilderness Campground. A ver nice place. And they have free hot showers which we are in dire need of. We drove up to your old school. That have a big building project going on. I guess they can aford it now that they got rid of all the expensive teachers. When was Dudley's funeral? Take care, Wayne and Al

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb