Day 106 - Lake Louise


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
August 14th 2013
Published: August 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was a beautiful drive from Jasper to Lake Louise. We passed several icefields along the way. It is simply amazing even in the heat of the summer these icefields barely melt. We could have taken a bus onto one of the icefields and then walked on it, but none of us wanted to take the chance of falling. We all agreed it's the pits getting old. We did see a black bear along the road, but that was all the wildlife on the trip into Lake Louise. Along the way we did see the fireweed in different stages. Some were still in full bloom, others were starting to change their buds into cotton looking buds and some had already fully changed into the cotton buds. The cotton buds then fly away in the wind and leave just a stem behind to bloom next year. Can you tell I am fascinated with the fireweed? We at least went from no utilities in Jasper to having electricity here. Thank goodness since it's supposed to be in the low forties tonight, so space heaters will be running I am sure. The Village of Lake Louise is a quant little place with a visitor center and small outdoor mall of shops. After we walked around the village we decided to head up to Lake Louise and the Fairmont Chateau Hotel. On the drive up we saw several cars pulled over to the side of the road. In our travels this could only mean one thing - wildlife. Sure enough there were two grizzly bears eating berries off the bushes. They could have cared less if we were there so we stopped, took several pictures and then headed up the road. Of course it took us awhile to get past the traffic jam the bears caused, but it was pretty darn neat to see them. It also gave us a good indication the grizzlies can be anywhere at any time, just like the ranger told us when we came into camp. I warned Joe to scope out the camp surroundings before he takes the dogs for their morning walk. Our three little ones would be an easy breakfast for a grizzly...


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb