Snowy Day in Lake Louise


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
November 26th 2021
Published: December 18th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lake Louise Lake Louise Lake Louise

Pillowed by snow
Fine light snow fell most of our day in Lake Louise. Insidious, because the World Cup skiing races had to be cancelled due to excess snow. This meant that lots of international tourists were walking along the lake edge, revelling in the famous but shrouded views. Dangerously, some ventured onto the ice, despite the warning signs of soft ice - anything for this once-in-a-life-time photo.

While the others in the hiking club challenged themselves with snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, I went for tea in the Chateau . The covid-era Chateau has banned seating in or near the café - takeout only. The Lakeview restaurant has expanded to the full length of the lobby, plus, a high-end restaurant, the Fairview, has been squeezed into a couple of windows-with-the-view. Actually, all the prices are high-end, but coming to Lake Louise is not about saving money.

Venturing out into the not-so-cold weather, I began to enjoy the moody views of clouds drifting across the looming mountains around the lake. Bushes with red or black bark shone against the white purity of freshly fallen snow. Evergreens were being decorated as if they were Nature’s Christmas trees. I indulged in my favourite social interaction of taking people’s photos on their phones, leaving them with souvenirs from angles beyond the reach of their own arms.

As it happened, two of us were into decadence. We had lunch in the Lakeview restaurant, happily paying for the marvellous framing of Lake Louise in the high arched windows. Drinking IPA while entranced, well-fed and warm made for a beautiful tiny holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



3rd January 2022

Small rocks and big ones
I particularly like the photos of stones in Pipestone Creek and the Slate Range. Striking shots. Your comments on "hang the expense" ring true. Iceland is super expensive (a VAT of 24% I think) but I remember the one meal where I just decided to eat where and what I wanted. And I don't actually miss the dollars I spent on it.
4th January 2022

Enjoying expensive lunches
Occasionally we should and can enjoy our hard-earned money in the pursuit of delicious food.

Tot: 0.602s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 32; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb