Northwest Adventure Day 8


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
September 23rd 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure Day 8

Stayed in Jasper today

Jasper, Alberta, Canada


Today was a declared laundry day so we took a very leisurely morning, went for a late breakfast, and dealt with the tasks at hand. We purchased laundry supplies at the local grocery store, continuing to be surprised at the cost of things here in Canada. We met some people from Switzerland who had rented an RV. They were having a wonderful time but felt paying the price they were paying for an RV site was not fair given a train came through every half hour through the night. So, they too, felt pricing in Canada was high. We finished the laundry and repacked clean clothes.

We had a couple of highlights after the laundry was done. First, we stopped at a local pub and had some very interesting conversation with the bartender and other folks relaxing as we were. We drank local beer and were surprised at the price. The bartender told us that wasn't unusual even for Canadian beers. There was likely a little mark-up for being in a major tourist area but overall, we were seeing the Canadian cost of living. We think we have a high cost of living in the US?
Laundromat we usedLaundromat we usedLaundromat we used

As if we really needed a picture of this
Oh my!

We went to renew our Canadian Park Pass for another day but they were already closed. As we came back into town, the elk buck was on the side of the road again, this time with his family (or harem - we're not sure). It was awesome as you can tell by all the pictures we took.

Quiet evening


Jerry used the Jacuzzi tub in the room if for no other reason than a fun picture for our Puerto Vallarta friends. He thought they might recognize him better in a swimming suit with beer in hand finding some fun thing to laugh at. Then, he was out for the count except a quick take in dinner from Kentucky Fried. Some nights, the old fast food meal is the right thing to do.

Weather reports do not show much change in the forecast for tomorrow. So, we confirm our plan to check out in the morning and head back to the Banff/Lake Louise area. It hardly feels like we had a day of rest but more adventure awaits us so we'll need to move on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Old Firehouse now an artists' venueOld Firehouse now an artists' venue
Old Firehouse now an artists' venue

Jerry wasn't impressed thinking something more "manly" should have occupied the building - no offense to any artists
People are lucky the buck didn't chargePeople are lucky the buck didn't charge
People are lucky the buck didn't charge

They are too close to this female
The BuckThe Buck
The Buck

Look at the rack on this elk! He's watching the people, ready to protect the two females.
Jerry's down for the countJerry's down for the count
Jerry's down for the count

He's lived the last week without any naps...poor puppy


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb