Breathtaking scenery in the Canadian Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
September 3rd 2013
Published: September 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

September 2, 2013



We awaken the next day to yet another clear blue sky and hope that we’re not beginning to take it for granted. The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful around here but the glorious weather really accentuates that.

When I wander down to the lake in the early morning the mountain opposite has a tint of pink to it and the perfect clear sky means that everything I see above the water line is reflected in perfect symmetry below it. Perfect for pictures, especially with those canoes all wonderfully positioned on the bank!

Today we attempt to address the eating/exercise balance and manage 3 good walks, the first being around Pyramid Lake (next to Patricia Lake). A beautiful and quiet hike of about 5km. The crowds haven’t really made it out this far.

On the way back into Jasper we stop when we see that many before us have pulled over. It’s a good sign there’s some form of wildlife to be seen and it’s worth overcoming the uncomfortable feeling of playing copycat and just following suit. Sure enough we’re rewarded by a lovely view of a grizzly bear. He’s aware we’re all here but is just getting on with whatever he gets on with and, for the most part, ignoring us. Someone has obviously made the Park Wardens aware though as a little while later one turns up, armed with a gun and fires a few blanks in the direction of the bear. Startled he trots off, away from the road and the work of the warden is complete. I’m just grateful I got my photos in first!

Once our hunger is satisfied in Jasper we head off in the direction of Maligne Lake, stopping off at the dramatic Maligne Canyon first. Some say it’s the deepest canyon in the Canadian Rockies and Canada’s largest karst system (karst is a landscape formed from the dissolution of soluble rocks including, in this case, limestone) but apparently that’s debatable but whether true or not the place is undeniably impressive. We get in our second hike of the day as we choose to go as far along the track as we can, once again avoiding the bulk of tourists who just make it down to the first bridge.

It’s then onto Maligne Lake itself and every bit as stunning as promised. We forgo the expensive touristy boat trip out to Spirit Island and instead walk the Mary Schaffer Loop trail, which adds another 4 km to our total for the day and provides a wonderful view of the lake and then up through the forest back to the car.

The boys add to their list of wildlife seen – grizzly bear, bighorn sheep, many red squirrels and a cheeky Whiskey Jack. Not a bad day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0934s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb