We're wined and dined in Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
September 14th 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

With only a few days to prepare, Alan and I unpack from our photographic journey on the Oregon Coast and re-pack for a gourmet food and wine weekend at Jasper Lake Lodge in Canada. What a switch! We’re going from rugged adventure to luxury eating and drinking.

Alan and I fly to Edmonton on Wednesday, where our friends, Hank and Lorraine, introduce us to their city. With its parks and walking trails along the river, it reminds me of Adelaide, Australia. And, although Edmonton is about the same size as Tucson, it seems much more cosmopolitan with a dynamic city center.

On Friday, Hank drives us to Jasper Park for a weekend sponsored by the Edmonton chapter of Le Chaine des Rotisseurs, a worldwide group of professional chefs and gourmands. The route through the park includes stunning mountain scenery. Traffic slows on a couple of occasions to watch mountain goats grazing close to the road and then again, for an elk sighting.

After settling into our log cabin-style accommodations , it’s time to meet the bus for the ride to a secret location for appetizers and champagne. The spot turns out to be the site of the old ski slope in Jasper. A blue grass band plays while we enjoy a sunset view of the town and park.

Afterwards, the group continues to Papa George’s, the restaurant hosting tonight’s dinner. The menu honors the 100-year celebration of Jasper Park. Each course is paired with a wine. We taste everything from duck sausage to elk steak to a gourmet version of smores.

On Saturday, we walk off Friday night’s food with a walk around Lake Beauvert, then go into town for more of the 100-year celebration. Soon, it’s time to prepare for the black tie dinner at Jasper Lake Lodge.

The evening begins with champagne and appetizers on the patio overlooking the lake. Afterwards, dinner is served in the Edith Cavell dining room. This meal is even more elaborate than the night before including many courses. The complexities of the dishes are explained to us along with the qualities of each wine, which come from all over the world. After four hours, we’ve had plenty to eat and drink. When the chef introduces his kitchen and wait staff, the diners give them a standing ovation.

On Sunday, we return to Papa George’s for breakfast before leaving the park. Then, it’s time to return to Tucson to prepare for our next adventure. We’ll be back in adventure land with a road trip to Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. Stay tuned!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb