Back to the Grind


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
December 6th 2011
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Norwegian-Style Bagel w/ Snowman Poo ...Norwegian-Style Bagel w/ Snowman Poo ...Norwegian-Style Bagel w/ Snowman Poo ...

... not the greatest bagel, but great lox and the diced hard-boiled egg was a nice touch. The three little blobs of cream cheese made me chuckle, as I imagine that's what snowman poo looks like.
Geo: 51.0451, -114.063

As quick as it started, it's over - just enough time for breakfast before heading to the airport and flying home. Three nights was a bit too rushed but unfortunately, that's all that time would permit. An additional night would've been perfect, along with a few additional days to head out and explore some of the smaller fishing villages in the region. There are a ton of shows on TV dedicated to the food in Mexico - such incredible variety and quality of fresh ingredients ... staying at an all-inclusive resort doesn't allow for sampling much of that, but venturing into the less-touristed regions most certainly would.

Despite my apprehensions of it being too much of a manufactured experience, Cabo was definitely enjoyable. I had hoped to use it as a primer for the upcoming trip, to bring my Spanish back up to snuff. Unfortunately, there really aren't many opportunities to practice the language in a tourist town geared towards English speakers. But while my lips and mouth didn't receive any workout practicing the language, they did more than their fare share of work in another way - Cabo was great, but not so great for the waistline as
Chilaquiles con Pollo Salsa Verde ...Chilaquiles con Pollo Salsa Verde ...Chilaquiles con Pollo Salsa Verde ...

... fried tortillas with juicy chunks of chicken, smothered in a slightly tart green sauce. Once again, the meat was the star of the show, perfectly cooked with a nicely caramelized crust.
there was far too much eating!

It turned out to be a very good thing that the only food available at the resort was cooked to order - not only did it promote quality, but it also prevented us from stuffing ourselves to extremes, in a way that the 24/7 buffets and drinks found at the typical all-inclusive resort promote. Not being a fancy, sprawling resort was also a positive, as there was incentive to get out and check out some thing other than the pool.

So now it's back to Canada and the office for ten days sure to be filled with stress, before flying out to Panama and Colombia. This short getaway was a bit of an appetizer before the main course - a little bit of guacamole before digging into a big shrimp taco! Yes, that was the lamest analogy, I can hear the boos and hisses already ...

Only ten more days to go ... sigh ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Extra Points for Subway in Mexico ...Extra Points for Subway in Mexico ...
Extra Points for Subway in Mexico ...

... because one of the cheeses on offer is Spanish Manchego! It's probably some bastardized processed version of the finest cheese that Spain offers, but still deserves some props!
A Big Let Down ...A Big Let Down ...
A Big Let Down ...

... a typical Italian cold-cut Subway sandwich. I couldn't help but think this would've tasted so much better had we not been spoiled with the yummy food at the Solmar Resort the past few days.
Popeye's Chicken ...Popeye's Chicken ...
Popeye's Chicken ...

... the sweet smell of grease drew us in at the Dallas airport but sadly, this wrap was crap.
Einstein Brothers Bagel ...Einstein Brothers Bagel ...
Einstein Brothers Bagel ...

... Italian chicken, had the same thing last time passing through Dallas. Seemed to be much tastier last time but then again, that was eaten after a red-eye flight from Buenos Aires and I was half-asleep.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb