Calgary - cowboys and cowgirls celebrate


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 12th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Calgary does itself up for the stampede, with murals in many windows and the locals dressed in Wrangler shirts and jeans. First night we went to Caesar's Steakhouse to try out Albertan beef and a local creation, the 'Bloody Caesar', supposedly invented at the Westin Hotel in Calgary in 1969. Next day we wandered downtown to watch some festivities associated with the Stampede, including square dancing and an indian parade cum festival. Darren loved a few good hours at the wonderful Glenbow Museum, a highlight being the Vistas exhibition, featuring works by artists who were taken on the railway through the Rockies when it first opened. Anna checked out the shops. Late afternoon it was off to the Stampede Park. It was absolutely thronging, being a Saturday night, and often difficult to move. It's very similiar to our Royal Melbourne Show around the grounds, but the showpiece is much different. That evening we saw the Chuckwagon Races, followed by 'The Big Show', a spectactular Las Vegas style production with fireworks to end the day. Next morning we returned to the Stampede to watch the afternoon rodeo. Unfortunately we had to leave a little early to pick up a hire car and head to Drumheller. It was great to be at the Stampede on the final two days when the stakes were high in the competitions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb