Calgary Parklands: Nose Hill Park, Many Owls Valley


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 10th 2020
Published: September 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Wildflowers and city-scapeWildflowers and city-scapeWildflowers and city-scape

Calgary in a glance
Fourteen “C” hikers and guests started out early for our 8 km walk in sunny Nose Hill Park. Soon after starting on the paved path, leader Dee took us up a more rough and ready path that resembled a small mountain creek, because of the deluges we have had this spring and summer.

At first happy with trees, bushes and wild roses, we were ecstatic when, towards the south, we entered vast fields of wildflowers. Yellow Sweet Clover and purple Vetch complimented each other in intersecting swathes. Single Gaillardia blooms were precursors to wide vistas of these distinctive yellow-petalled flowers with their reddish-brown button centres. Pale Wild Geraniums, white Asters and mauve Harebells poked out along the pathways, and careful scrutiny revealed that some Wild Roses are white. The contrast of natural lands and the downtown cityscape in wide views reminded us of how lucky we are to have such a large and loved park so close to our homes.

The pond on top of Nose Hill was full of absolutely still water, perfectly reflecting a stand of trees and an old log – a wonderful scene for our morning break. At lunch-time, we settled into long fragrant grass in a small shady grove. Just before and just after lunch, a few people left; the rest of us gladly walked along, enjoying the sunshine and companionship. Suddenly, sharp eyes saw bright orange in the waving grassland – Western Wood Lilies! An exhilarating finale to our enchanting walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Poplar trees Poplar trees
Poplar trees

Bright sentinels against the green
Gaillardia Gaillardia
Gaillardia

Swaths of bright flowers!
Nose Hill Park Nose Hill Park
Nose Hill Park

Natural grassland in the city
Pond in Nose Hill Park Pond in Nose Hill Park
Pond in Nose Hill Park

Mirror of the sky's beauty
Brown Elfin butterfly Brown Elfin butterfly
Brown Elfin butterfly

Camouflaged for dust
Chokecherries Chokecherries
Chokecherries

Reminder of my childhood in our garden
Downtown from Nose Hill Downtown from Nose Hill
Downtown from Nose Hill

Country and city together


20th September 2020

A glimpse of home
Thanks for this reminder of "home" - one of them, at least. I've seen Nose Hill from the surrounding roads and suburbs, but never wandered across it. Next visit, maybe. The avens are striking in a fluffy way.
26th September 2020

Home
Glad to know you still think of Calgary as home, albeit one of a few.

Tot: 0.585s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 127; dbt: 0.2128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb