Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 24


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
June 21st 2014
Published: June 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another day in paradise. Last night it rained a lot and we were wondering if we would get to fly today (helicopter day). Woke up this morning and the clouds had moved and there was quite a bit of blue sky above us again. Slow start as we didn't have to leave until 1000. Had to pay the bills for the extra excursions, then breakfast.

Down to the coach and there are 17 of us doing the helicopters today. We are going on a 30 minute flight to Mt Abisenthe (or something like that). Do the safety DVD, into the briefing room and divided by logical groups - Singaporean family and one other, the 5 girls then our group. Up up and away. We climb to around 9000 odd feet and have great views of the Rockies - the rain that we got last night was also a fresh dusting of snow up where we were in the clouds - really a pretty sight. The snow on the hils was so fresh and deep. Great views, but the pilot was a bit of a dud - basic info and not much banter.

Back in and obligatory photos, etc. Didn't bother with any this time - dodgy pics anyway..... Back to the hotel and the rest of the day is free - once we do the washing..... One load washed and in the dryer, but someone else has slipped in between the first and second loads - bugger. She is from the other trafalgar group and we ask if she could put our second load in while we get some lunch - no probs.

Finally get back and washing done, and first load dried - good work. Off for a walk to the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (and the Bow River Falls which are below the hotel). Nice walk along the river - some great looking houses on the rivers edge. We walk on the left side of the river (could be east or west or north or South but don't really care). Get to the falls which are reasonably impressive as we are quite high above them. Only problem is that there is no river crossing up here - back we go to the foot bridge, then back to the falls from the other side (N, S, W or E - not sure but this time the right side of the river). Different aspect altogether as we are much closer to the water now. Lookup from where we are and the hotel is above us (read bloody long way above us). Up we start to climb and after what Chris counted as finally 83 steps, we are at the foot of the hotel - still and impressively high building.

We walk up a path that leads us into the hotel. Walk around and eventually a find a bar for a celebratory drink - happy long walking drink). Go outside to the terrace and are greeted by a tall young man. Ask if we can just have a drink - no probs, asks our name, if we are guests, and as we aren't, where we are from - Oz. Yes but where - Melbourne - I am from Brisbane he says. We have a chat and then get to our table. Very posh, and lots of dudes skipping around looking busy. Ask for a corona (from the menu). Sorry, we don't so corona, only sol - hmmmm.. Never mind, cold sol is good. Nice sitting amongst the rich people.

Need to go as we have our farewell dinner tonight at 1800 in the hotel. On our way back down the hill, we see a little commotion ahead of us - animals. Turns out there are 2 elk grazing beside the footpath we are on - and I mean right beside the road/footpath. We get there and wow, pics, and hearing the words of our tour guide - never get near the animals as they are wild - we get some really good close up pics - sorry Russell - they came close to us, not us to them...........

What a way to finish the land content of the trip (well, bus content). Back and showered for our dinner. In we go, and about to get a drink when a Mountie comes in and starts talking - no drink for a while now... He is a retired Mountie who gives talks and does it very well. Tells us the history of the Mounties and is quite funny in his delivery. Ends and then poses for pics.

The into the food - really nice feed and we are at a good table as well. Get our group photos, organise an email list and the I am up getting some desert and a drink when Russell does his speech. Can't go back to my seat so i a statuses at the bar. Good speech and I get this urge to be the group spokesperson so I make a heartfelt group speech thanking Russell and Patrick for their knowledge and good driving. Move around to catch up with others and guess what - we are last again - asked to leave as they need to freshen the room for breakfast - the tradition continues.......

Decide to go downstairs and mess up the same bar as last night. About 12 of us this time. More farewells, lots of laughter and finally there are 4 - yep last again.......

Pack the bags for a last bag pull at 0715 - then off to the train at 0815. Mixed feelings again, but there are 22 on the train so will have a few to keep chatting with. Bed now for an early start.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb