Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 25


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kamloops
June 22nd 2014
Published: June 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up with the sparrows for a 0715 bag pull - need to be taken to the rail station for our Rocky Mountaineer train trip. Expected to go at 0815 to the train and get breakfast on the train. Oh oh. Russell comes back from dropping the bags and tells us there has been an incident between Calgary and Banff and the train is stuck. Arranges breakfast for us at the hotel but has no more information.

Everyone is a bit worried but still positive. Eventually he comes around and tells us that the train is now expected at 1015 so they will drop us at the station on their way back to Calgary.

More farewells, more tears, etc. On our own now and we walk down the platform to our allocated carriage (CB07). Train arrives and we find CB07 is the last carriage - nice.

On we get after our own photos outside the train. Find our seats - our group is at the front of the carriage with the APT group at the back. We actually have some spare seats around us which is nice - we can move about a bit - suck eggs APT.....

We are told the reason for the delay was a fatality with a freight train. This meant that the Mounties had to get involved. We are now due in Kamloops around 2200.

Off we go and all excited to be finally moving. Safety demonstration and all the normal guff. Jenny is here as well, but still not really well - John is toying with calling their insurance when they get to Kamloops (over night stop) to see what can be done medically, etc.

Views are spectacular as we track back along the route we had been on the coach. Know that we are coming up to the spiral tunnels so outside to get pics - all of a sudden we are popular and lots come up and join us. In we go, too short to do the front out and back still chasing on our train. Lots of other freight trains though after the hold up but we don't get a chance to see them go through either.

Get called to lunch, very nice and good wine to match. Come back up and the second group eventually get called for their lunch sitting. Go out the back to get fresh air and after a while one of our group comes out and tells us that Jenny has just had a little seizure and is on oxygen. They are going to take her off the train to hospital. Back up and john says that all is well, but obviously dehydrated. We stop at the next town and the ambulance is waiting. We speak to John and he says that he will get in touch and let us know how Jenny is going.

Ambulance people come on board and assess then move to the ambulance - a bit flat seeing one of your group carted off on a stretcher but probably the best option for her. Finally away again and the bar is looking very good - service to match. Very impressed with the response from the crew on the train - evidently they were on the scene in minutes with oxygen, etc. Makes you feel a little more comfortable that they are looking after you extremely well.

On we go and the scenery is changing as we get further south. Not a lot of snow capped mountains any more. We actually pass a lake that is huge and has quite a few boats with skiers, etc. on it.

We have one dude on board that has the bestest handle bar moustache you have ever seen. Interesting person - cracked the poops with me coz I was standing and blocking his view - know the food has been good, but not that good.........

The sun has shone all day, the views from our top deck seats are great and the food and drinks also very plentiful.

We arrive at around 2200 all a lot tired and over it after all our delays. Buses waiting to take us to our respective hotels - lots of buses.... We are told to get on bus 8, so we do, then we are told we should be on bus 7 - straw getting very thin now. Finally get to our hotel - already have room keys so straight up and to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb