13th July 2008


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

13th July 2008
The regular readers of this blog may notice that we have only just discovered that we failed to publish the 10th July in sequence but having already prepared it have now published it, better late than never.
Also we have included in todays blog some pictures from yesterday just to confuse you further.
After our very late finish last night we slept in until 9-30am this morning.
We went for breakfast to Evelyn's Cafe on the high street in Banff.
After breakfast we made our way to the summit of Sulpher Mountain by Gondola together with coachloads of tourists. The views from the summit at 7,486 were spectacular but there were still a lot of higher snow capped mountains around us. Sulpher Mountain overlooks the town of Banff but the Gondola seemed to be for tourists only as there did not appear to be any ski trails from the summit, but there are several hiking trails.
Amy was suffering from lack of excercise as she missed her run so we had to keep on the move. It was off to Lake Louise, about 50 kms from Banff where we did an 11 km walk to the Glacier View tearoom. Bob stayed behind to find food and do some more blog writing.
It was quite a steep climb up to the tearoom and on the way we saw the climbers who come to do the climb called Chocolate Bunnies from Hell and Wicked Gravity which looked very spectacular. It began to rain as we approached the snow line and I felt very silly in tee shirt and shorts and no fleece! The tea room was a little log construction with no electricity and no obvious way of getting supplies up the mountain. As they had run out of bread and and cheese we had to make do with corn chips and humous and a cup of green tea! The glacier was creaking and groaning and we heard a great crash as bits of the glacier fell off the edge. I was really cold so I jogged down again to warm up and by the time we got back the sun was out and we were quite warm again.
After a quick stop at Peyto Lake which was so blue it looked unreal, we drove back to Golden and Mary's motel and another meal at The Kicking Horse Grill.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th July 2008

rodeo
great rodeo pictures Dinah. I suppose none of your intrepid companions fancied a go ?tch tch tch....wimps. love mary j
16th July 2008

Wow
What a fantastic travel diary. We (Richards family) have really enjoyed reading about your travels and seeing the fantastic pictues. It also helps us keep track of where Richard is each day which is not easy.. Can't wait for the next update. Keep them coming!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb