Fall at Moraine Lake


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
September 9th 2016
Published: October 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Low cloud in the morningLow cloud in the morningLow cloud in the morning

Transcanada Highway
The crisp air at Moraine Lake was belied by the fall yellow sunshine. Our ascent through the woodland trees brought us in and out of shade. The sun’s warmth and our vigorous steady uphill climb had us shedding jackets after only ten minutes.

Mushrooms abounded. The moisture this year has sustained the undergrowth in almost spring-like condition – except that the fall colours are shining through the evergreen forest. Fireweed has shed its flaming flowers, and now the leaves are almost as bright, all-be-it fading to tones of brown in the meadows. In one clearing a grouse hen and a couple of youngsters pecked at the grasses, tiny ripe berries and nutritious seeds. A (related?) male grouse was quite a distance away and was equally disdainful of the danger of our presence – which wasn’t dangerous at all, of course.

As we turned onto the mountainside path to Eiffel Lake, the sun fell full on our faces – almost a return to summer. Glimpses of the aquamarine Moraine Lake far below delighted our eyes. More majestic was the naturally sculpted grey rock of the moraine itself. Looking back towards the lake, the “flow” of rock carried memories of floods recent and in historic times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Low cloud defines the peaksLow cloud defines the peaks
Low cloud defines the peaks

Transcanada Highway
Castle MountainCastle Mountain
Castle Mountain

Neverending fantasy mountain
Moraine LakeMoraine Lake
Moraine Lake

Our first peek at the deep turquoise through the forest
Curious peek at us!Curious peek at us!
Curious peek at us!

Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel


17th October 2016
Curious peek at us!

Morain Lake
Hi, Judy, great picture of the grouse.
20th October 2016
Curious peek at us!

Moraine Lake
Thanks, I am so happy about that grouse picture. Hard to have wildlife in focus!
18th October 2016

Beautiful
Great shots and evocative prose. Nicely done.
20th October 2016

Hikes
Glad you like the staycation blogs. Different feel and reminder of how gorgeous Canada is.
18th October 2016

Lovely
Title says it all. Especially like sculptured moraine and male grouse. What was the speedometer for the hike? LOL!
20th October 2016

Lovely
Speedometer! Steady climbing, half up up up and half along the mountainside.

Tot: 0.578s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 33; qc: 141; dbt: 0.209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb