Canadian Rockies Day 8


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
July 12th 2015
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 8
Slept in again this morning, just something about the cool mountain air... Headed back to the same road where we saw the wildlife the previous day but were shut out. Probably because it was noon and they were all in nice cool places by then. Early worm gets the bird! However, there was still spectacular scenery. Oh my goodness! The huge mountain peaks and glaciers were all over the place. I have never seen such a chain of mountains with 10,000 foot peaks and glaciers. We made it half way to Jasper on the Ice fields parkway. It was about fifty miles of this (and it was still going on...) Oh, and the lakes! Lake Louise is not the most spectacular lake in the park as we found out today. We hiked Bow Lake and saw very nice views of Bow Glacier and Peyto Glacier and the waterfalls below and feeding into the lake. We met a couple that was heading down the mountain with skis and they had been skiing on these glaciers! What? We also stopped at Peyto Lake (actually it was a nice hike) and viewed the lake from about 1000 foot above. You could see Peyto glacier in the background and the water streaming down into the lake. There was a bunch of youngins at the observation deck and somebody said everybody get in the picture. I didn't realize it was a tour group at the time and took my position in the photo. Then the guy taking the photo said "hey, who's this guy?" (Photobomb!). They got a kick out of it and he even came over and showed me the photo. And Janet even admitted to being my wife! Then we stopped at Waterfowl Lakes and it was very scenic as well (didn't see any waterfowl though). All, well most, of the lakes are the blueish/green because they are fed by the glaciers, and the glaciers pound the rock into a powder (which mixes with the water) Our next stop was at Mistaya Falls/gorge and it was very cool. Got my knees shaking like when I was at the Grand Canyon! Amazing what water can do to rock! And the force of the water in the narrow gorge for some reason gets my knees shaking. Just the power of raw nature in action! That was enough for the day so we turned around and enjoyed a nice 90 minute drive back to our cabin filled with the same views only from the other way. Had a wonderful dinner (this place is a definite hidden gem that Janet found), Janet had the salmon and I had the buffalo tenderloin. Oh my! (That's better than "killer" if you can believe that!). Back to our room and it's chilly so we have a nice fire going in the fireplace. Fortunately the beer is still cold as I type and soon I will be joining my lovely wife as she is deep in sleep...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bow GlacierBow Glacier
Bow Glacier

This is the glacier those crazy folks skied.


13th July 2015

Photobomb, eh?
Janet must be enjoying herself if she admitted to being your wife :) Make sure to save the names of all the places you stay and eat. Janet is such a good vacation planner!
14th July 2015

I like when you speak Canadian eh?
She was more than happy to admit she's my wife smarty pants! It's been unusually warm, we were just on a very windy ridge line at a high altitude at the time. Once we went to the other side of the mountain it warmed considerably. Good times...

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb