Oceania Nautica At Sea


Advertisement
Middle East
December 13th 2006
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me and Kurilic Damir Me and Kurilic Damir Me and Kurilic Damir

The Oceania Nautica Safety Officer from Croatia.
Woke up to another beautiful, sunny day. Enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at Tapas and attended the captain’s interview (Jurica Brajcic) including general manager (Thierry Tholon) and chief engineer (Panachiotas Bachas). The captain was quite entertaining and showed off his sense of humor with the Q and A session. We also learned about the sonar guns located on Deck 5 forward, to assist us with safe passage through the Hormuz Straight and as we passed close to the coast of Somalia, where the Seabourn cruiseship encountered a pirate attack last year. If needed, the guns deliver such high frequency sound waves, that are capable of shattering a small boat apart.

Another cooking demo was presented by executive chef Pascale Leseur and chef de portie Verna Bhivnesh. They made a lamb curry appetizer and a pan seared scallop entrée on a bed of risotto. Delicioso !!

At 2:00 pm, Joe and I attended the food and wine-pairing seminar at Toscana, hosted by master sommelier, Nikolai from Bulgaria. We sampled 5 different wines, comparing how their taste changed when paired with different items such as fruit, plain chicken, spicy chicken, lemon, soft cheese and hard cheese. It was very enjoyable, educational and well worth the $ 9.00 USD fee.

After that, our trivia team placed 2nd (we’re on a roll) and then rendezvoused upstairs at Horizons Lounge with our team members to celebrate Joe’s birthday. From there, it was dinner at Toscana and a nightcap with bar manager Gorrin for his treat on a birthday celebration round of drinks. I caught the final act of the show “Rhythm and Smooch”. He plays popular songs on flute and she accompanies him on oboe and clarinet. It was original.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb