Diving at Khor Fakkan


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dave and Chelle ready to diveDave and Chelle ready to diveDave and Chelle ready to dive

Don't we look lovely in our wetsuits!
I took Dave on a dive trip to the East Coast of the UAE on the weekend to try out diving again. The diving was pretty fantastic but the hotel that we stayed in, and the dive operation itself weren't the best.

We went diving with Divers Down and while the people were really lovely and friendly the operation just felt a little haphazard. I'm a bit of a dive operation snob these days and I get pretty fussy about what I like and don't like in an operation. The briefing that they undertook and the dive equipment itself was great. But what i didn't like were some of the little touches. Like the fact that when they gave Dave an empty tank, and he only found out on the boat, he had to carry the tank back to the shop himself. Which wasn't so great.

The first dive that we did was on a site called Martini Rock. And it was really quite lovely. There were beautiful soft corals all over the rock, they are called teddybear corals and they were just lovely. I have never seen anything so lovely underwater. It looked truely just lovely. There were
Full dive tanksFull dive tanksFull dive tanks

NOT as Dave found out
also some gorgeous moray eels and we even saw an enormous flying fish just as we surfaced.

The second dive was on a site called Hole in the Wall. It wasn't anywhere as good as the first dive, but was still nice in its own way. We had to take a bearing on the way out to the site and then navigate our way out and in. And we were totally amazed that we managed to do it, especially when we got back onto the boat and found that 3 chinese divers had got totally lost and had another boat pick them up and drop them back at our boat.

We had planned to stay the night in Khor Fakkan at the Oceanic Hotel. Well the hotel was more than a little disappointing. We turned the taps on in the room only to find out that the water that came out of it was totally brown. The service in the hotel wasn't the best either and we had the biggest surprise when we went down for dinner. We decided to go to the buffet and when we walked in the door all I could think of was Miami in the early 80's. There was even a keyboard player at the entrance.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb