Bahrain Grand Prix


Advertisement
Bahrain's flag
Middle East » Bahrain
April 6th 2008
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took a day in lieu from Bovis Lend Lease on Sunday and went off to the Grand Prix in Bahrain for the day. It was really quite a wonderful day. A big group of friends from Dubai went with us (the usual suspects - Jessie, Rod, Leanne, Steve, Sascha, Linda, Dave and I).

We bought our tickets to the grand prix over the internet with a company called dream days. They were actually really good and we got a great day on the flights and grand prix tickets.

We caught a plane up to Bahrain on the Sunday morning and were met at the airport by the dreamdays people who put us into a bus to the grand prix track. The only slight hitch in the day was the bus ride, as it decided to stop for 20mins by the side of the road to wait for a couple of people who had missed the bus at the airport. And of course in true middle east fashion nobody told us why we were waiting by the side of the road, so there were a lot of agitated people in the bus just wanting to get to the track.

Our seats were in the University stand and they were actually really good seats. We were right at the end of the first bend of the starting straight. There were some cool things that happened before the race, like the display by the very colorful and musical locals with their swords and capes (check out the photos) and then there was the gulf air aeroplace that almost performed acrobatics above our heads in the stands.

The Grand Prix village was quite a happening place with loads of people hanging around. It was pretty hot so we went in search of ice cream. Can you believe that there were about 50 coffee stalls and only one ice cream stand. Needless to say the ice cream stand was doing a roaring trade.

I have to say that after all of that the race itself was actually a little dull. The race started, they went around the track, Ferrari was in the lead, then Ferrari won. There weren't even any big crashes or anything of the like. Truely rather dull!

After the event we caught another bus back to the airport, had a quick McDonalds picnic on the floor of the airport and then fly back to Dubai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb