Latest News


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Sharjah
January 5th 2007
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Anchor Handling TugAnchor Handling TugAnchor Handling Tug

This tug drags the 4 massive anchors out to stabilize the vessel while the divers are underwater
Why hello! Well my last update was a little while ago now and I am struggling to remember the things I have done since then. That or I actually haven't done much. The latter sounds a little more accurate.

The job in Iran went well with everything going according to plan. Ship was placed where it should have been and the divers were easy enough to track underwater when they were fixing the leak. Being on an Iranian vessel was something to remember. The cook catered for the heavily populated Indian crew so the food was something new. Initially I didn't eat that much of it as it made Bailey sick from having one lunch on the vessel (when we were mobilizing). The cook noticed this and by the end of it was cooking some separate meals for me and a few others which was nice of him. Still . . .

What I found is the Persian Gulf is very polluted. Aside from the the whole oil thing, there are signs in boats that say "don't throw garbage overboard, it COULD be illegal.' At a certain point away from the coast you can throw paper, plastic, tins,glass, almost
The Dirty LeakThe Dirty LeakThe Dirty Leak

This was what was leaking into the Persian Gulf. Nice
anything which is more than worrying.

The job was delayed a few days due to weather and some serious seasick crew. I have yet to be seasick of which I am very thankful for. So the ship arrived back in Sharjah early morning on the 30th December, only to find no one was working because it was a Muslam holiday for three days. This meant we couldn't get passport clearance so we sat anchored 2km off the coast for 2 days. Finally the client managed to get someone in there to clear us. So I got off the boat at about 5:30pm. I ended up a getting a phone call from a mate that used to work at Horizon (for the first two weeks I was here) so went round to a party at his place in Dubai. Turned out to be a good new years. Still a New Zealand beach is hard to beat. The next day I went out to lunch with a few of the managers of the company to a restaurant in front of the Palm Jumeirah (one of the massive palm shaped islands) which was very very nice.

I must say I haven't
Pyrotechnic DisplayPyrotechnic DisplayPyrotechnic Display

Somehow the Ukrainian chief managed to set off the rescue flare. The worrying thing was no one even radioed us to see if we were alright!
really done much. The plans on the table at the moment is either moving/positioning an oil rig off Qatar or doing a pipelay in Turkey. If those go ahead, as projects are constantly delayed here, I will then get a month off or so, so hopefully will be able to jump over to Europe for a little while. Fingers crossed.

Ta rah for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

It's moving timeIt's moving time
It's moving time

Oil rig being moved out of harbour after repairs


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb