Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
March 2nd 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our final destination before returning to the UK was Dubai where we spent just a couple of nights. It was a long flight from Auckland to Dubai, especially when our entertainment units packed up - a 13.5 hour flight with no TV - nightmare! We were given a glass of champagne, 2 bottles of wine and a pack of playing cards as consolation - how generous!

Dubai was the only location where we had pre-booked accommodation. We tried a 'Top Secret' deal on the Internet. Fortunately we ended up staying at the Crowne Plaza, which was very comfortable. We took heed of lots of advice we'd been given about Dubai and avoided the beach or 'building site' locations as well as the busy city centre. Dubai really is one big building site - so much development and money being poured into it.

Not realising how tired we were, we had lunch and then slept all the way through until the next morning! By then, we were refreshed and ready to explore so looked around the shopping mall at our hotel and then took a taxi to the souqs. This was magical, walking around the spice, gold and textile souqs with all its sights and smells. In the evening we experienced a desert safari - a really fun evening. We went in 4x4's over sand dunes, which was quite an uncomfortable ride, especially as Phil was in the front passenger seat with no seat belt and Laura was in the back on a seat which wasn't fixed down! We stopped off for sand boarding, camel rides (we wouldn't recommend this for comfort either!), dinner at a 'village' in the middle of the desert with henna tatooes and bellydancing for entertainment.

We were left feeling that Dubai had a lot more to offer and would definitely be worth another visit in the future. We were ready to go home though so it was off to the airport for the last time. Typically it was our only late flight in 7.5 months, always when you just want to get home! The nerves and excitement of going home kicked in for both of us, so it was lovely to receive a warm welcome at Heathrow from Laura's folks and our friends. It was a wonderful end to a great adventure - now the next chapter begins....!!!!!!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 92; dbt: 0.098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb