Lasting Impressions


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
June 9th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Driving in Turkey is not for the fainthearted. They overtake on blind corners (giving a polite toot to let you know they are there) and will carve you up at roundabouts or traffic lights. It all happens very fast but with a good humour and total lack of aggression or any signs of road rage. But don’t mess with tour buses or dolmuses. Cars and lorries coming towards you toot and flash their lights, we spent the first few days trying to figure out what we had done but eventually realised they were just saying ‘hello’. People on the side of the road, on tractors and scooters all wave when they see you. There are loads of tractors of all shapes and sizes they travel on all roads in all directions often on the hard shoulder travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic flow.

Roads vary from excellent to terrible, there are always road works and sometimes it is not obvious where you should go. You can end up on a dual carriageway with something coming towards you in the opposite direction!

It is amazing how many people can fit onto a scooter (once we saw a family of four) or into a car. The most people we saw getting into a small family car was 6 adults and 2 children!

Gallipoli was a humbling experience.

The ruins of cities built by early civilisations make you wonder what man achieved in the next 1000 years.

The natural phenomenon that is Cappadocia and how people utilised this natural resource.

The beauty, variety, and scale of the mountains.

The Turkish people and their friendliness, warmth and generosity towards us.



Advertisement



9th June 2010

So glad that you guys are having some marvellous experiences (reading about the Turks, Cappadocia, etc. brings back very fond memories). Happy travelling - love your blogs.
10th June 2010

Turkey
Hi Noreen, Brain and Calum. what a fabulous time you are having. We so have the travel bug, and can't wait for our house to sell, so we to can experience the wonderful things you are. It is great reading your blog, so keep up the great work noreen. Take care and cory says hello Calum.
20th June 2010

Enjoy
Hi Nos,B,C Hope all is well and you are enjoying life. Good to hear your stories and see the pictures. We skied in Zell am se and it looks completely different without the snow. Hope you are not missing the World cup tooooooooo much. Take care and catch you soon.
1st July 2010

Chris
Hi Noreen, Brian and Calum, Just caught up with all your Turkey travels, sounds pretty dam great. I've always wanted to look up a fairies chimney, that doesnt sound good but you know what I mean. Im very jealous, you sound like you're having way too good a time. Seriously tho you put a great blog together. So Keep having fun, but not too much!

Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb