Return To Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
June 15th 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Back in Alexandroupoli for a few days rest and catch up. Forecast was for thunder and rain, fortunately we only got the thunder. Didn’t do very much but time passed quickly and after 3 days we were ready to head for the Monasteries in the at Meteora valley.

All goes well until we are about 40km away and then suddenly the motorway is closed and we have to find our way round the mountains rather than through the tunnels (no diversion signs). Round and round, up and up and occasionally down behind 3 lorries with cars overtaking on blind corners. Eventually we end up on the Katara Pass at a height of 1690m, complete with 2 snow plough stations and a herd of free range cows. This is a small tortuous road and we are on the drop off- side, as usual. Stress levels are rising because its sods law that it always happens at the end of the day. We are now the only vehicle on the road (everyone else turned right when we turned left) glad we got those new tyres!

Thankfully Calum is quite happily watching DVD’s on the laptop and only occasionally asking ‘Are we there yet, I thought this was going to be a short day?’.

After another left turn we are on a (slightly) better road and there are more cars, lorries and buses (we must be near a tourist location)! Eventually, 551km and 8hours later, we arrive at the Campsite in the village of Kastraki, a remarkable location from which to explore the delights of Meteora.

Luckily there was some cold beer in the fridge.

Next morning we have a slow start; it is again very hot and sticky. We decide to drive round the monasteries (we have missed the last bus) but end up only stopping at one and viewing another Varlaam; one of the oldest and most beautiful (according to the Rough Guide so we will take their word for it). You have to marvel at the effort it must have taken to build such amazing structures at the top of cliffs in such a remote location. The first monastery was established here in 1336 by two monks.

It is probably unfortunate we didn’t visit Meteora before going into Turkey. Then we may have been more appreciative and excited about the weird grey rock formations with beautiful buildings of all shapes and sizes build into and onto them.

Back at the campsite the boys have a swim and then we have a quick drink at the bar before dinner and bed.
Up early and head for Igoumenitsa, we have decided not to explore the rest of Greece but return to Italy where hopefully there will be more people travelling with children. We have not found Greece a particularly friendly place this time but on refection it is perhaps unfair because we have become accustomed to the amazing welcome we received in Turkey.

After an uneventful trip to Igoumenitsa we are booked on a ferry at midnight. We travel about 8km along the coast and find a small quaint village with a harbour and pass a leisurely afternoon enjoying the sun.

Arrive in plenty of time for the ferry but unfortunately it is running late and it is after 1am before we are onboard and settled. This ferry is not as big or as ‘posh’ as the last one but after exploring a bit we end up in the cafeteria having a pre-bed chicken dinner (or Calum does) and getting to know some Turkish truck drivers getting to bed about 2am. 7am comes round too quickly and by 8:30 we are off the ferry and heading for Pompeii.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb