Turkey - Goreme, Balloons


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
September 27th 2007
Published: October 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dawn silhouetteDawn silhouetteDawn silhouette

Balloons silhouetted against the morning sun.
We all awoke early to stand and watch the sunrise across the valley anticipating the balloon flights. None of us were quite prepared for what we saw! It wasn’t just the odd balloon, there were well over 30 of them in all, launching from different sites, some in the valley and some on top of the gorge opposite us. At 6.30 am, more or less, they all leapt into the air.

Some, lower down the valley, went high and drifted in the almost calm conditions away from us, down the gorge. Others, more strategically placed for their launch, drifted up the valley, flown brilliantly through the stalagmites. We watched with great interest as they flew very close to us - some even below us! - to drift up hill and to land eventually about two or three miles from us. The whole spectacle took about an hour to an hour and a half.

The huge baskets below the balloons carried about 10 or more tourists - probably the same Japanese throng we had met the day before. Thereafter we drove through lovely, wild Turkish minor roads where the views were quite spectacular. We were up to nearly 7000 ft
Goreme BalloonsGoreme BalloonsGoreme Balloons

Balloons creeping very low through the moonscape at Goreme
at one point and Ian’s car’s gearbox complained bitterly again, which necessitated some more of TLC. After Karhmanamares we looked for, and eventually found, an excellent campsite amongst scattered small trees on a gentle slope which made getting level cars and level tents quite a challenge. Again a full moon graced our evening meal before an early bed. Syria tomorrow. (226 miles today)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Balloon in the valleyBalloon in the valley
Balloon in the valley

Drifting low in the valley


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb