May 17th Kas – Side


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Side
May 18th 2015
Published: May 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Woke to a beautiful day. Went off to the showers at 7.30 in case there was a rush which there wasn't, expecting a cold shower as the sun hadn't been up long. It was uber hot. Our bodyguard slipped away in the night to do some mine sweeping I assume but a couple of gullets motored across the bay. Could have stayed here for a while....



Got away for 9.30 as we knew that not only was it a fair way away but also it was the coastal road - & what a road. Once again it hugged the coastline close to the sea & passed some lovely coves, little beaches & also a harbour that had nothing around it; it was just a mooring site I suppose. Back through the snow covered mountains, out, back again – lovely. At one point we descended a mountain & I stayed in low gear, to save the brakes, for 14km! The mountains are just amazing with signs everywhere for the ancient ruins – one of which we could see from the road – like a temple frontage in the rock face.

We felt peckish so stopped a little family cafe having avoided the bigger ones (all just roadside shacks really); everything on the menu was off, except for pancakes (gozembe) which Mum made fresh from a dough whilst Dad put a log in the dome shaped oven. We opted for a cheese filling mixed with parsley & seasoning which Dad then cooked on the dome of the oven – lovely! 2 pancakes, 2 diet cokes & 2 soda waters & an apple, served by the son in between teasing his Grandfather who was on a swinging chair - £6.50, don't mind if I do sir. Ate in the shade of trees, vines & roses as it was 30*+. The lad wanted to buy Cathy in exchange for a goat – I wanted 2 so a deal was not done. He gave Cathy a yellow rose though.

We managed to avoid the kamikase drivers who didn't pass when it was safe to do so but waited until a blind bend, said a prayer to Allah & floored it – I think on two occasions I was the answer to the prayer as I second guessed the impending danger which wasn't too difficult to predict...

Eventually approached Antalya which was vast as it stretched along the coast; we'd been through large towns of 50 or 60,000; this was a city of 1.2 million. The road which was a dual carriageway with a service road on each side went straight through the middle of the city so was a tad manic in parts. The road was being improved at a few places & one little diversion saw us drive through a Shell forecourt.

Safely through the city to Side, a site we had planned to stay at but also recommended by our Turkish friends the other day. As we approached, being instructed by the Dyson, the road just started to fall apart & then we realised why. About 8 massive hotels either had been built or were being built & it was due to the construction HGVs. However, despite our hearts sinking, the site was a little further on next to a little motel & run by the council – quite nice really in a wooded area of pines with water & leccy for every pitch. Cathy was very excited as they had 6 free washing machines.

Our last site had a minesweeper, this site had a pirate galleon sailing up the river next to the site..a little bizarre!

3 other vehicles on site, 2 Turkish & one Dutch. A big Harley arrived with a couple who pulled up at one of the Turkish vans. They looked like proper Hells Angels – when they took off their gear they were about 65 & he built like a weeble, one of those kiddies toys that won't fall over. I think that he won't able to extricate himself from the chair later. He could sell his trousers as a bivouac.

We settled in & then heard a sound test from the quiet motel next door – then the Turkish guitar started up (can't remember what they're called) & a singer was off doing his stuff...was this the start to a free concert? Didn't care so long it wasn't the local Turkish equivalent of an all night rave...

Interesting dinner – did you know that they sell Barnsley chops here? I went to the counter the other day, pointed at the meat, held up four fingers & said,' 4 Barnsley chops lutven' & he popped them in a bag – QED. Big too, must be an inch thick. Fired up the bbq then one of the chops rolled off the plate into the coals as I was putting the grill on. Grabbed a fork, retrieved it & half the red hot charcoal was stuck to it. Grabbed the tongs & got it all off but managed to melt some of the tongs – plastic ooops. Washed the chop. After a few minutes my toes got hot, well very hot; the pine needles beneath the coals had caught & I had a mini forest fire around my feet. Flip flops intact though if not a little warm. Chops were superb in the end.

To bed with the sounds of the PA system & music. It must have been a rally of some sort. First a beautiful, live trumpet solo – a bit like the last post – then some recorded rousing chorus which sounded very E European / Russian. A few speeches, the host who liked the sound of her own voice & then some very good live Turkish music...until midnight grrr!



At 4am woken by 2 cats in a Mexican stand off near Billy the Bosch – 2 acres to fight in & they choose here. Up, out & chased them off


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb