Istanbul - the cross roads of Europe, Asia, and Northern Africa


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
June 14th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

TrainTrainTrain

Austin and Lily prepare to board the 10 hour train ride from Ankara to Istanbul at 11pm.
6/15/09 - INTRO
Istanbul is a truly amazing city. Situated in both Asia and Europe with the Bosphorus Strait running in between, it originated as a cross roads of trade for Asia, Europe, and Northern Africa. It still has Bazaars that sell EVERYTHING, and has cultural diversity among its 11 million inhabitants.
------------
Lily
Istanbul is the biggest city we have gone to so far. It is the only city in the world that is on two continents; Asia and Europe (this is not true). There is a Grand Bazaars here, a big shopping market.
---------------
Austin
We took a 10 hour train ride overnight to get to Istanbul. Each room had two people in it. It also had a free minibar with drinks and candy bars. The dining car was also fun. We were tired the next morning.
---
We saw many sites in Istanbul, including Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace, Dolmabahce Palace, the Grand Bazaar, the Bosphorus, and many other streets with forgotten names. My favorite site were the palaces. Dolmbahce had fancy ball rooms and expensive furniture. Topkapi palace had an 86 carrot diamond on display (3rd largest in the world). We almost stayed at the Cirigan
Train Dining CarTrain Dining CarTrain Dining Car

Our 10 hour train ride went from Ankara to Istanbul Turkey. We had to try out the dining car with a beverage.
Palace (now hotel), but then we saw the $30,000/price tag (which includes free helicopter transfer to the airport), and we realize that Stephanie might get airsick like she gets sea sick.
---
Mom, Dad, and I got to practice my bargaining in the Bazaars. Lily just had to smile at the sales person to drop the price and get free scoops of ice cream.
---
I now know what it feels like to be a sardine. We didn’t have a car in Istanbul, hence only used public transportation. Trams (above the street train cars) were packed to the brim. We did get a chance to meet a Turkish family on one who pulled out their phrase book and tried to speak to us in English while we pulled out our phrase book to try to speak with them in Turkish.
----------
----------
----------
TRIVIA:
---
The first trivia question was: What country were we in was Turkey. Austin and Lily pulled out 1 name from a hat of over 20 people who responded correctly. Aunt Helene was the magic winner. Prize is coming from Istanbul.
--
The second trivia question was: Do males and females serve in the Turkish Military? The answer is only Men serve in the Turkish military. It is mandatory and occurs for about 15months at age 20 years old.
--
Newest Question: They are getting tougher….
We have deviated from our previously planned travels and just entered the country where Cyrillic Alphabet was created. It has made reading signs even more challenging than Greece. We have given you a photograph from the menu to assist you with seeing Cyrillic alphabet. Please respond if you know the answer. We are still working on the prize.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hagia SophiaHagia Sophia
Hagia Sophia

The dome in Hagia Sophia reaches up 20 stories.
Mosque AttireMosque Attire
Mosque Attire

Lily and Stephanie are demonstrating use of required mosque attire. Head, shoulders, and knees have to be covered for females. Shoulders and knees for males. This is to show a level of respect.
Harem Entry - Topkapi PalaceHarem Entry - Topkapi Palace
Harem Entry - Topkapi Palace

Sultan Austin is busy entering the Harem in at Topkapi Palace.
Dolmbahce Palace FamilyDolmbahce Palace Family
Dolmbahce Palace Family

Our new home. We sold the boat as a trade off.
Dolmbahce PalaceDolmbahce Palace
Dolmbahce Palace

Chaning of the guard.
Spice BazaarSpice Bazaar
Spice Bazaar

All they need is one big gust of wind.
Bambi CafeBambi Cafe
Bambi Cafe

The owner obviously was unaware of the implications of advertising meat products in the window of Bambi Cafe.
Cyrillic WritingCyrillic Writing
Cyrillic Writing

We have left Turkey in the last two days. Our planned itinerary was changed. Where are we now? Hint: The country is know for the first country to use Cyrillic writing (as shown on our menu for tonight). Respond with answers, if you have one.


Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb