Turkeys


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 23rd 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our ultimate goal was to make it to Turkey by the end of the trip. We had both heard so many stories about how wonderful Istanbul was and it didn't dissappoint us. The city seemed to go on forever and was so full of smells and sounds. On one corner you could find the black sea and then just a short drive and you could be on the Sea of Marmara, leading into the Aegean. There were whirling dervishes (can't get enough of those guys...wish you were here Mandy), Sultan palaces with harem rooms, ancient mosques/churches and ruins galore.

The highlight however was running into Pat Dunn and his girlfriend Charlene from St.John's. We were having breakfast on the rooftop of our hostel when a guy walked around the corner and took a quick glimpse at me when he sat down. We both looked at each other and couldn't believe what we were seeing. It was a long time before I could mentally organize my head around looking at Pat's face with the sea of Marmara in the background. So the 4 of us packed up the car and drove to the black sea for the day. Swam, gabbed, ate delicous fish and then made our way to the Istanbul night scene for a late night....it's a small world.

PS. we have more pics of Istanbul, but seem to have misplaced them??



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

CastleCastle
Castle

There are ruins all over Turkey, this was a castle we hiked upto on our Bosphorus boat tour.
Houses on the Bosphorus, IstanbulHouses on the Bosphorus, Istanbul
Houses on the Bosphorus, Istanbul

They're so skinny, skinnier than downtown St. Johns
Blue Mosque, IstanbulBlue Mosque, Istanbul
Blue Mosque, Istanbul

The mosque was built on the ruins of an ancient church. The church was said to be one of the most beautiful in the world.


15th August 2008

Fantastic
Great blog...also the one from Bulgaria....so much to see and what about those Newfies....they are everywhere!!!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb