Day 2 Photos


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 13th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Archeological DigArcheological DigArcheological Dig

The Four Seasons Hotel was expanding when this was unearthed. The expansion was stopped, and this is being created into a viewing site.
Our UNOFFICIAL Escort! First, Istanbul is known for its carpets and rugs--and they are absolutely gorgeous but also VERY, VERY expensive. The Turkish people are very welcoming, hospitable, and gracious. (Tourist trade.) On our way to the Blue Mosque, a young man approached us and walked with us and offered to show us our way (2 blocks) and give us some information about what we would see. He was very friendly, and nice looking, so we just walked and talked to him on our way. I figured it was his way to make money and it would be worth it to have a somewhat personal guide to tell us what we were seeing. He walked us to the Blue Mosque but didn't go in. He told us he would meet us at the exit. So, we didn't think anything of it. We were just going to tip him when we exited. Well, at the exit, he asked us to visit his family's rug store right by the mosque. Their tradition is to seat you in their shops, serve you warm fruit tea, and show you rugs, EXPENSIVE RUGS. They are not high pressure at all. They are really very nice
Walking to Blue MosqueWalking to Blue MosqueWalking to Blue Mosque

This tourist area is so picturesque. Someone is always sweeping or washing the street. By no means are all streets maintained as such.
and have no problem if you tell them "not interested." It was a cultural experience and we learned a lot about rugs. We learned from then on, we didn't need an "unofficial escort." We also learned to keep walking past the hundreds, LITERALLY, of rug/carpet shops.

Istanbul is a port of call for cruise ships so there are cruise tourists everywhere. Our little "unofficial escort" recommended that we do the Blue Mosque first since the cruise ships tourist usually visit Haghia Sophia first. That was a good suggestion.

So, our Day 2 started with visiting the Blue Mosque, which gets its name mainly fron the blue tilework decorating its interior. It was built between 1609 and 1616 and was controversial because it included 6 minarets and that was considered a sacrilegious attempt to rival the architecture of Mecca. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Jesus is Lord! The architecture was fabulous and hard to believe they were able to construct such with the tools available 400 years ago.

Next we visited Haghia Sophia, the "church of holy wisdom." (It now serves as a museum rather than a mosque used for worship.) Now that is an architectural wonder, built over 1,400 years ago. It was a Christian church but was converted to a mosque in 537. At that time, the minarets and washing fountain were added. Through the years, earthquakes and fire have caused some damage but it is presently going through more restoration. The center dome is 184 feet inside and was being worked on. It was once covered with golden mosaics. Now there are eight wooden plaques with calligraphic inscriptions hanging at the second level---THEY ARE HUGE. The calligraphy is Allah, Mohammed, and other revered people the Muslims recognize. Some of the Christian mosaics are still evident but one area showed where they were covered with plaster at one time. I'm not great with measurements but I do know the whole building is larger than any one building I've ever seen. The grounds of the Haghia Sophia go on and on. It would take weeks to really explore everything. I just know that Jesus is Lord!

We have already "spent" two days and there are 23 more sites I've marked to see in my Istanbul tour book. Looks like another trip! Pack, Matt.

The One-Half Traveler


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Washing StationWashing Station
Washing Station

Muslim's ritual absolutions conclude with the washing of the feet. Taps are located outside the mosque for this purpose. The Blue Mosque is still used for worship so we were restricted on the times we could visit. (not during worship)
Non-Muslim EntranceNon-Muslim Entrance
Non-Muslim Entrance

Speakers are for broadcasting the call to prayer throughout the area 5 times a day. Each mosque does such--pretty eerie.
Getting BagsGetting Bags
Getting Bags

For the removal of shoes.
Entrance Door To the Blue MosqueEntrance Door To the Blue Mosque
Entrance Door To the Blue Mosque

Looks small but had to be at least 30 feet tall. Copper (or brass) knobs represent the 5 times of call to prayer during the day.
Tile, tile, tileTile, tile, tile
Tile, tile, tile

It's blurry but gives you an idea of the size and the number of tiles. (As I type, the call to prayer is echoing throughout the area!)
Main Inner DomeMain Inner Dome
Main Inner Dome

This is a shot of the main dome and the tiles. Matt, I needed your camera--or YOU.
Istanbul Plates and Tiles EVERYWHEREIstanbul Plates and Tiles EVERYWHERE
Istanbul Plates and Tiles EVERYWHERE

I will get those special plates to commemorate the trip--where to buy is the decision--and how to get them home in one piece--and stay within the airlines' strict weight limit--and not go broke!
Big Brother Outside Haghia SophiaBig Brother Outside Haghia Sophia
Big Brother Outside Haghia Sophia

I've walked him so much he is now almost as short as I am.
Haghia SophiaHaghia Sophia
Haghia Sophia

2 of the 6 minarets. They have at least 2 balconies on them. There are many, many mosques throughout Istanbul and as you look across the skyline, you see minarets everywhere.
Entrance Door To Haghia SophiaEntrance Door To Haghia Sophia
Entrance Door To Haghia Sophia

Plaque to the right explains the mosaic of Jesus when you first enter. In this photo, you see evidence its history as a Christian church and inside the door you see one of the calligraphy signs of Allah or Muhammad.
Jesus MosaicJesus Mosaic
Jesus Mosaic

Above the entrance. So high, it's hard to tell it is a mosaic.
Center Dome RestorationCenter Dome Restoration
Center Dome Restoration

187 feet high. Scaffolding. This is the major dome with the highest peak.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb