Day off and Spactic Children's school


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
June 1st 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My choices for dinnerMy choices for dinnerMy choices for dinner

Not on my day off BUT it was mentioned earlier I think
6/1/08 Day off

Today was a free day to spend with our host families. My family knew that I like the outdoors so they planned a day at a lake that is about one and a half hours East of Istanbul. Ismial (my host father) thought it would be a good idea to invite Laurie to come along. She accepted the invitation and joined us. We went to a hotel that had an outside restaurant and a dock for sunbathing and swimming. There were many tables, lawn chairs, bean bags, and hammocks set up throughout the yard under shade trees. The view was spectacular and the lake was crystal clear. It is one of three lakes in Turkey that the water can be drank out of. The wind was blowing so the air was too brisk for swimming or sunbathing. Plus we have to worry about not getting tan lines that will look funny in our bride’s maid dresses. Laurie and I were able to lay in the hammock and take a short nap… we needed a day of rest and relaxation. Its back to the grind tomorrow.

6/2/08 Sabanaci Spastic Children Rehabilitation Center
The school we visited today
My host familyMy host familyMy host family

I'm with them until the end!! They're very nice and I feel at home with them
was started by one of the members of the Sabanaci family. He married his cousin and they had three “spastic” (mentally handicap) children. Both of the Sabanacis came from very wealthy families and they started this school for their children.

In 1972 a Turkish neurologist saw that their was a need for a doctor to help children that are “spastic” so he went universities in France and England to learn more about treating these types of children. When he finished his studies he returned to Turkey and began helping children, as a volunteer, from a small house that acted as a clinic. In 1976 he outgrew the clinic that he started in and needed a bigger place. The bank would not give him a loan to purchase a new office because they knew he wouldn’t be able to repay the debts. They realized the good work that the doctor was doing and DONATED a larger building to the doctor. In 1989 the clinic they were in was once again not big enough to meet the needs of the patients, so a foundation was started to help raise money for the clinic. At this time the clinic not only helped
ChillinChillinChillin

I needed some rest
children, but adults too. In 1993, their current building was built and donated by a member of the Sabanaci family. It was donated on the condition that it was named after his son: Sabanaci.

Approximately 250 children are serviced at this facility.

The school offers four services: daily rehabilitation and education, housing for some kids in government care, occupational rehabilitation, and a primary school.

Daily rehabilitation and education is for children who are ages 2-7. Parents bring their children here twice a week to learn how to help them in their home. Transportation is provided if needed.

Living quarters are provide for 72 spastic people at this facility: 30 adults and 42 children. These people are in government care and social services has said they are too severe to live in their home. Some of these people go to school outside of the facility and others go to the primary school.

Occupational rehabilitation teaches people art, music and life skills. This program runs from September to May and is for adults over age 16 and don’t go to school anymore.

This primary school is for students who have multiple disabilities and a normal IQ.
The LakeThe LakeThe Lake

Our hair is blowing in the wind
Many have problems with their hands and vision. 90% of the students have cerebral palsy and other disabilities.




Advertisement



4th June 2008

hello
I'm glad you got some down time and were able to rest. It's tough going so much. I wonder why they call the kids "spastic". It is kind of a funny word. Hope to see you soon!
5th June 2008

Family
I am glad that you are with such a nice family. Tell them thank you from me. It was thoughtful of them to include Laurie. Your trip will soon come to an end. What an adventure! Enjoy your last few days. We miss you both and will be glad for you to be back home.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb