Day 02 - 30th August 2010 - Istanbul, Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
August 31st 2010
Published: September 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 02

30th August 2010 - Istanbul

More city roaming. Visited the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar. Both were very very busy and were not actually very cheap.

By the sea front, locals were reeling in fish and dropping them straight onto a giant hot plate. Had a great fish sandwich!

Walked into the north of the city and caught the old tram up through the busy shopping area, to a large park, where a stage had been set up for the evenings Ramadan festivities. Walked back down, to a restaurant/bar that a friend recommended, called “Lib-Deryia”. It was in the penthouse of a large apartment block - very weird entrance - felt like we had gone to the wrong place. When we got to the top, we were pleased to find a great bar with an amazing view of the whole city.

Walked down to the south of the city, and had a traditional kebab for dinner. We then went to meet Apul - a carpet weaver that Laetitia had spoken to earlier. We joined him for tea. He told us all about his background, his day to day life and Ramadan. We then said goodbye and went to smoke a “shisha”next door, which was fun, before heading home to the hostel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb