Island life


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Beyoglu
June 29th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

But wait there's moreBut wait there's moreBut wait there's more

These sellers are on the ferries and spruke so well. We bought this lemon squeezer from him
Yesterday Duygu, Gülnor (Değer's mother) and me went to Buyuk Island which is a 1 hour ferry trip from Istanbul. This is one of a group of islands of the coast with summer houses as well as permanent dwellings where people go to relax, fish and enjoy life. There are many hotels and cafes but you rent apartments if you want to stay.
Horse drawn carriages take people around on Buyuk island which is very hilly. Gypsy people run this business as well as sell,ng flowers to people getting off the boat. A garland of flowers looks so pretty in all the young girls hair.
You can also rent bicycles to take you around the island.
We rented a horse drawn carriage and the poor horses struggled their way to the top area.
From there we walked up a very steep hill for about 1.5kms to a Greek orthodox church (St George)perched right at the top. This church ıs 1000 years old and every year on the 23rd of April local women walk barefoot up the hill leaving a trail of cotton thread behind them to pray at the church and leave a wish.
After all that exertion chips and kebab and a beer was a great lunch.
Eating out is so common here. Istanbul is full of laneways and allys with tiny cafes set up, service is superb with nothing too much trouble. They will go and get a packet of cigarettes from the shop, better wine from a shop if you do not like theirs and offer a warm wrap if it's getting cold.
Try Taksim St which has really great little alleyways full of book shops and cafes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Horse CarriagesHorse Carriages
Horse Carriages

Narrow streets with bicycles and horses only allowed
CarriagesCarriages
Carriages

Some seat 5 people, ours seemed to struggle with us 3 !
Gülnor and meGülnor and me
Gülnor and me

Carrıage trip
Wooden housesWooden houses
Wooden houses

Some places are palatial, the area is known for the wooden houses
another placeanother place
another place

Gülnor bought a lotto tıcket hoping one day she would get lucky to buy one of these


Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb