Gallipoli and Troy


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
April 20th 2015
Published: May 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Istanbul on Sunday night and got to the hotel in the central Istanbul using the subway system. In the morning I departed for my battlefield tour of Gallipoli and Tory. The recognise site of Troy consisting of nine different cities build at different in the same location. While the stone walls and buildings are present you do need a lot of imagination to see the different cities but it is still worth the visit.

The next day we visited the Gallipoli peninsular battlefields, all over there were posters talking about the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing 1915 2015. In the morning we did the Helles sector where the British landing and the Turkish war memorial is. On the walk down to the British V beach we found old bullets and cases from the conflict 100 years ago both British and Turkish on the side of the path. In the afternoon we visited the ANZAC sector and saw all of the sights including ANZAC cove, Lone Pine Australian memorial, trenches at Johnston’s Jolly and the New Zealand memorial at Chunuk Bair. I had the experience of visiting a number of cemetery’s they were all very beautiful, peaceful and ordered. It was a very sobering experience realising the age of the people killed are the same age as your children.

You could see all of the preparations of them getting ready for Friday night Saturday morning . This earlier trip allowed me time to see all the sights of the battlefield that will be closed on Anzac day. In the evening we returned to Istanbul arriving at midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb