Turkey - Istanbul and Gallipoli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
April 28th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Istanbul about 2 hours late after our flights were delayed gettin off the ground and leaving Zurich due to a connecting flight being late, we also had to circle for about 20 mins over Istanbul for whatever reason. Queued up for passport clearance for about 20 mins before realising that we needed to buy a visa, not one bloody sign in the place said we did and most people did the same as Katie and I, her friend Jamie didnt need one as Kiwi's dont require it for some reason, but she had to wait for us anyway.

We got to the Hotel we were staying at after witnessing some of the craziest driving that i have ever seen. They are all mad and just cut each other off and turn from the wrong side of the road and stuff basically everything goes. Anyway was dying for hot shower and certainly a beer, which we eventually got. Went out for dinner at a Turkish restaurant and got to see Belly Dancing and eat Turkish food, oh and lots of beer, so,ething that was beginning to become a theme of my time with Katie. Anyay the show was great, the first performer was a woman which was quite pleasing to the eye i must say, then a male dancer came out. I was thinking no way if he belly dance's i'm outta here. Well i must admit he was better at it then the lady, thought not as easy on the eye for me, though the girls loved it, even though it was pointed out to us he was gay!!!

In the morning we got up and went to see the BLue Mosque and Topaki Palace. Both were nice but we got a bit over looking at the same things in the Palace, so we did the express lane most the time. Funniest part of the day would have to be when our tour guide marched us up into a Rug store. We got sat down offered Raku (Turkish Ouzo) which of course we had and then told about how the make hand made rugs in Turkey. Was a bit interesting, but then came the sales team, about 20 guys come strolling in asking if we would like to buy something. Now a silk rug about 1000mm x 500mm costs approx. $2000 USD so you could imagine there werent many takers amongst a group of mostly backpacking aussie and kiwis, and when one of the girls with Katies friends started run, dive and roll herself up in the carpets we were asked to leave, haha.

After this we had some leisure time which we basically spent having a bit to eat and a beer. Istanbul is very westernised something that i didn't expect. They do have the speakers blaring 5 times a day from the Mosques, which did wake me on the first morning, but it is a lot like any city really. Later that night we found a bar and got stuck into it, after all there would be no drinking the next day at Gallipoli. Dont know how but did manage to get a police car ride back to our hotel with a couple of the girls. As i was a little drunk i asked one of the girls if she could take a photo. All i can say is i think she was drunker then me cos of 4 or 5 photos not one of them really shows what we were doing???

Morning come, with a hungover and we had to pack our things and head to Gallipoli. About 5 hours on the Bus with stops, and for anyone who knows me i dont travel well with a hangover. About half hour up the road i was like let me out i'm going to go, the bus was stinking hot for some reason,but there was no stopping, i went and sat in the stairwell though which was nice and cool and it went away ok.

When we finally arrived in Gallipoli we had to queue for miles to get through the security checks. At least the weather had fined up though, it was bucketing down the day before and this day was sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Apparently it hasnt rained at Gallipoli in like 30 years and we were hoping that would continue (which it did). We found a patch of grass and set up camp. Some smart chap come up with the idea of ironing board covers to sit on and stuff and i must say that they were a great idea, they also doubled as my bed. Anyway i hadnt a sleeping bag or anything like that and thought that i had bougt a heap of clothes i will be right. Well at about 8pm i went and spent my last few dollars on a blanket. This place is like the coldest place on earth and my feet froze all night. For future visitors to Gallipoli who maybe reading this it is freakin cold so take a very good sleeping bag, oh and get there early or you will miss out on the grass and have to sit in a chair all night long. I felt as if it was tha longest night ever so could only imagine what it must of been like sitting in a chair all night.

As for the reason we were there, to remeber the Anzacs, it was absolutely awesome to be there. I was lucky enough to be able to go down onto the beach before the told everyone it wasnt allowed and to stand there and look up you just cant help but think how did they think they would ever get up there??? It is so high up and the terrain so harsh its unbeleivable to think that they advanced as far as they did and held there ground for 8 months. From about 11:30 the army band played music that the soldiers would of listened to and a lady from the army sang songs, she had an exceptional voice, Bec Cotton i think her name was. They also played little video's with narration of letters sent home from the battlefield and also they introduced us to so,e of those who died there and their stories. I must say that this was probably the most emotional thing for me, along with th lone pine service, and i did wipe away a few tears privately. The dawn service was amazing of course but seemed to come and go so quickly considering how long we had waited for it but it was very special.

After this we made our way to Lone Pine for the Australian Service, this was also so special, and did move me to choke up for sure. Once again the sun was shining upon us all day. At one point they asked all defence force serviceman, no matter what nationaility, retired or otherwise in the crowd to stand up. There were quite a few and there was much applause for them coming to remember their own, once again a really moving moment.

After the Servicewe went and signed the register to show we had been there. After contemplating working the hour to the NZ service we decided to sit around lone pine and watch it on the big screens in the beautiful sun.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb