Western Turkey - mile 3046


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Urgup
April 26th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the Bosphorus to Asia Crossing the Bosphorus to Asia Crossing the Bosphorus to Asia

the view back to Europe
I never knew Turkey was so scenic - I always think of it as beaches, sailing and ancient remains but in the last few days we have ridden across some great road through some fantastic scenery and we have mostly had the roads to ourselves, apart from the flocks of sheep and goats wandering aimlessly along. The landscape is amazingly diverse; alpine meadows, snowy passes, rolling grasslands, olive groves. And there are all sorts of diverse cultural bits and bobs on the ways - the perfect combination really.

From Istanbul we crossed the Bosphorus leaving Europe behind and entering Asia via the suspension bridge built by Edwin (well ok, it was designed by the company where he served his apprenticeship). It doesn't really feel like Asia though as all the faces are still European and the driving standards are pretty good. We took a ferry across an inlet on the Sea of Mamara and saw dolphins - and all the Turkish people were amazed as this stretch is quite industrial and not so clean.

Now we can turn the bike east and start riding properly all the way across Turkey - it feels right to be heading east, although it means we are riding into the sun every morning making picture taking challenging. The countryside round Lake Isnik is incredibly neat with olive tress and apples tress all lined up in neat rows. From up above its all very geometrically precise and aesthetically pleasing. Gradually the groves and orchards are replaced by wooded hillsides. Being spring there are carpets of wild flowers everywhere, its incredibly beautiful and Edwin has to stop every 10 minutes so I can take more pictures of the flowers. Its the weekend so lots of families are out picnicking besides streams and in the shade of the tress, its nice to see them enjoying their countryside. There are a lot of traditional villages around with old wooden or stone houses. We stay in Beypazari a small Silk Road town with cobbled streets and old wooden Ottoman style houses. All the shops have wonderful displays outside of agricultural implements and general household goods with carpenters and coppersmiths beavering away, it feels really traditional and a million miles away from Istanbul. Our guest-house is 300 years old with wonky walls and rickety floors but oodles of character and bathrooms in the cupboards.

We get to brush up on our history at Gordion. Its one of those mythical sounding places you are taught about at school but it exists and it was here that Alexander the Great cut the Gordian Knot. It was also the capital of the Phrygians Empire in the 9th century BC and their king was Midas as in the golden touch - yes he really existed. Given how big their empire was (even way back then it was on one of the main east-west trade routes) there's not much left now except for the gigantic burial mound. You walk right into the depths of it to see the 'wooden case' the king was buried in, only its not a wooden case its a full blown cedar wooden log cabin made from enormous trees trunks. Not what I had pictured at all and more like something you'd expect to see an Alaskan bear trapper living it.

Another days riding takes us across the central Anatolian grasslands. Vast areas of rolling hills full off fresh green wheat shoots and large flocks of sheep and goats. The flocks are guarded by Kangal dogs specially bread for the purpose who usually sport spiked collars to give them an advantage when fighting off wolves attacking the flock. Luckily we don't look like wolves, most of the dogs just look quizzically at us as we go past trying to decide what we are. A few decided we are a threat to the flock and chase us down the road. At the end of the day we arrive in Cappadocia - the land of fairy towers, cave dwellings, underground cities and rock cut churches adorned with colourful frescos. We even get to stay in a cave - a very posh cave with an en-suite and private veranda but a cave none the less.

An early morning balloon flight lets us see Cappadocia from above. From up here you can see all the patterns in the landscape - its surprising how different crops create quite different patterns and textures. We drop right down into the valleys and skim past the fairy towers at eye-level, we are so close that you can reach out and touch them or pick leaves off the trees. Its all topped off with a champagne breakfast then we are ready to head into eastern Turkey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

traditional shops in Beypazaritraditional shops in Beypazari
traditional shops in Beypazari

my favorite - sticky, sweet baklava.
Gordion - King Midas's tombGordion - King Midas's tomb
Gordion - King Midas's tomb

and the place where Alexander the Great cut the knot.
two friendly Kangal dogs guarding their flocktwo friendly Kangal dogs guarding their flock
two friendly Kangal dogs guarding their flock

some have big metal spikey collar to help them fight off the wolves tha attack the flock
local gents whiling away the day playing OKlocal gents whiling away the day playing OK
local gents whiling away the day playing OK

its like gin rummy played with dominoes
our Cave Hotelour Cave Hotel
our Cave Hotel

that's our balcony above the big arch


15th May 2010

Best wishes from Chris & Danielle
Hi Ed & Lorraine. Nice to har you're enjoying the "adventure". Wish I was there! Got the bikes back last week. Danielle's is fine, mine still needs a screen fitted but just got the fittings today in the post - so should be mobile again mid week. Hurrah! Then a quick tour of Scotland to see how Danielle's wrist is holding up. Best wishes to you both, to Kev & Jules, to Aaron et al. Oh - and please keep things the right way up. Chris & Danielle
15th May 2010

Jacqui & Neil
WOWWWW!!! how fab! thats the life (well that what I say). Neil and I are off to Turkey in 3/4 weeks but will not be anything as exciting as this Lorraine lol!! enjoy hugz. xx
16th May 2010

What Beautiful scenery
Hi Ed & Lorraine. what great adventure you are both having. Turkey is totally different then i thought always imaging it to be dry and dustily. The farmers do the same thing in Cyprus during the day with dominoes. You have taken some lovely photos. Look after yourselves and take great care, pass my regards onto Aaron, Kevin & Julia. Gerald.
18th May 2010

Looks fantastic
Hi. Wow, we really enjoyed reading about this part of the trip. Looks fantastic. Your accomodation seems to be quite an adventure in itself. Let Edwin know how much we appreciate him keep stopping to let you take photographs. They are lovely. Ride safe and enjoy. Sandra and Brian
18th May 2010

cappa
Hi tupela, Love the photos - am very envious of your trip to Cappadocia. Turkey looks more interesting than I'd realised. Keep blogging....... Carol and James
27th May 2010

Edwin's suspension bridge!
You've opened our eyes up to Turkey as well. Thanks. So Edwin not only involved in the Thames Barrier but also the bridge between continents! All the very best with your travels.... David & Di.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb