Day 7- Cappadocia - Urgup


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia
June 16th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our room for the next few nightsOur room for the next few nightsOur room for the next few nights

The hotel that we are staying in used to be used by a Greek family. The room that we have used to be the chapel for the family
We had an early start this morning – 4:00 am. The plan was to take a taxi from the apartment to Taksim Square and then the airport bus to the airport. It turned out that the taxi to the airport wasn’t going to cost much extra and so we opted for that route instead. Initially, Deb was concerned that if the taxi did not turn up we would have to walk up to the Square with all our luggage and so was ensuring that we had enough time to do that, catch the bus and still make it to the airport on time. As it was, we had about 2 hours of quality time at the airport. Our $35 (each) flight to Cappadocio was on time and when we landed at Kayseri we caught an airport shuttle to our accommodation in Urgup. It was about lunchtime when we arrived here and the hotel owner met us and talked with us about tours to see the region. We’ve booked tours to see the sites over the next 2 days and we’ve also mortgaged the house to do a hot-air balloon flight on Saturday morning.


We’ve spent the afternoon exploring the town and going for a walk in the hills around the hotel. The views are lovely and there have been a few thunderstorms hanging around today which enhanced the colours of the rocky hills that this region is known for. There were also lots of wildflowers around. On our walk we ended up drinking tea with an old man and his wife who are still living in one of the cave houses. We were attracted to their house because they had an attractive vegie garden that we could see by the walking track. When we walked closer to their house for our tea it was obvious that they were almost self sufficient in vegies. Towards the end of our visit Terry and the man were comparing surgery scars – a frightening thought.

Now we are sitting down enjoying a beer and doing our ‘homework’. We’re going out for dinner tonight at a private house, a carpet seller who is a friend of the hotel owner. We don’t quite know what to expect but it’s bound to be fun.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The terrace at our hotelThe terrace at our hotel
The terrace at our hotel

Note Terry in the background drinking beer. Our room opens onto this area.


25th July 2011

hotel in Urgup
hi guys I'm planning a trip to Turkey in Sept can you please advise the name of your hotel in Urgup, looks great.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb