Selcuk and Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Selçuk
March 15th 2009
Published: January 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ephesus, the best preserved classical city in the Eastern Mediterranean. 3rd Century BC to to 4th Century AD give or take. Starte in the SE corner with the Basilica and Odeon, then a loop around the fountain of Pollio and Waterhouses. Curetes Way was once lined with shops and inns. The Terraced Houses were amazing to see, a look into the lifestyles of the elite in Roman and Byzantine times. Was an extra charge for admission, but very worth the extra money. The Temple of Hadrian, constructed 118 AD, depicts an interesting frieze of Medusa.

And of course, the Library of Celsus. The library which had been built in the name of proconsul Gaius Celsus completed in the year 135 A.D. by his son Tiberius Giulius Aquila, is entered by way of a stairway, 21 meters (69 feet) in width and having 9 steps.
It was the third richest library in ancient times after the Alexandra and Pergamum.

Continuing on the Sacred Way, led to the Theatre, a mere 24 000 seat theatre, used for everything from theatrical productions to Gladiator battles over the centuries.

The Temple of Artemis, which had been built at first during the Archaic
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Joanna along the Roman Basilica
period (8th c. B.C.), was one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world. In 356 B.C., at the night when Alexander the Great was born, the temple was destroyed by a lunatic called Herostatus who always wanted to be remembered in the future. It had 127 ionic style columns, each 17.5 meters tall, and its dimensions were 55 x 115 meters (180 x 377 feet)!! Now just a lone pillar stands. And a bird has made it his home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Theatre
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Library of Celsus in the distance
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Fountain of Pollio
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

Curetes Street
Photo 35Photo 35
Photo 35

Fountain of Trajan
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

Temple of Hadrian, constructed in 118 AD
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Slope housing water pipes
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

slope housing mosaic
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

mosaic
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

dwellings of the slope houses, a look into the lifestyles of the elite in Roman and Byzantine times


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 57; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb