Day Sixteen (Sunday)


Advertisement
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
July 9th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

When I woke this morning I could still feel our ship moving. Debarkation for Patmos was supposed to start at 9:30. In my windowless room it was a bit difficult to guess just what time of day it might be and not having a decent watch with me I had no idea what was going on. After laying awake in bed for maybe 15 minutes while Mike blissfully dreamt of diving with frolicking dolphins and discover... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Not at all what I imagined Turkey would look likeNot at all what I imagined Turkey would look like
Not at all what I imagined Turkey would look like

Our bus dropped us off near our ship and in the center of downtown Kusadasi. Everything seemed very modern and tourist-friendly in this area of town. We could've kept ourselves entertained all day in this part of town.
So close I could almost touch itSo close I could almost touch it
So close I could almost touch it

Even though we didn't have too much time to explore the town seeing how close our ship was docked convinced us we could do a little last minute spending.
Last chance shopping in KusadasiLast chance shopping in Kusadasi
Last chance shopping in Kusadasi

We arrived back in downtown Kusadasi with almost an hour left before the ship departed. We spent a crazy hectic 45 minutes running around looking for stuff for Tyler to get for his Turkish friends at work.
Still shoppingStill shopping
Still shopping

The people in town seemed very friendly and willing to help the confused tourists. Gail kept making eye contact with the merchants which would send them into long spiels about how good and how cheap their stuff was. She ended-up buying a shirt for half the original asking price by playing one merchant's price off against the guy across the street.
The Amazing RaceThe Amazing Race
The Amazing Race

We miscalculated how far we were from the ship. We had ten minutes to get back, but we had to walk/run a much greater distance than we thought. Even though the ship only appeared to be a couple hundred yards from us the way to it required running through a shopping mall, parking lot and a lot of barricades. We made it on board with about 2 minutes to spare. But in the end the ship departed about 15 minutes later than originally scheduled.
Our last dinner on the Sea DiamondOur last dinner on the Sea Diamond
Our last dinner on the Sea Diamond

Back onboard we had to return to our cabins in order to spiff ourselves up for our "dress-up dinner". We had another very satisfying, filling meal washed down with more Mythos beer. I ahd my final Moussaka of the trip along with beef kebabs and Baklava for dessert. We returned to our rooms soon after dinner where we spent the next few hours trying to pack-up all our newly purchased goods. We had to have everything packed with our suitcases left outside our room by 11:00 pm so that the crew could get it off the ship for us in the morning.



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 19; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb