Day 9 - Pamukkale to Kuşadasi


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
May 10th 2012
Published: March 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up into Pamukkale we went. As well as being a thermal spring, Pamukkale has Heiropolis, an ancient Roman city, and the Cotton Fortress, a series of dazzling calcium terraces, filled with the most amazing blue water, very impressive. The water is heated by a thermal spring, and Heiropolis was built because the Romans believed the waters held healing properties. The ruins are well preserved, and include a 20,000 seat amphitheatre which is said to be the best condition ancient amphitheatre in the world. It towered over the rest of the city, giving a view over the valley and the mountains beyond. Also, there was a tortoise, how a turtle got to be up in the mountains goodness knows. Before leaving I bought a beautiful table cloth that will give me fond memories of a beautiful place.

We had lunch at a local restaurant and drove for upwards of 3 hours to our next destination, stopping at a leather shop for a fashion show. The leather products were gorgeous, but the cheapest jacket found was $1600 New Zealand dollars, so suffice to say we didn't buy anything.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb