Qatar, a rising pearl in the middle east.


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar
February 14th 2011
Published: November 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Doha, QatarDoha, QatarDoha, Qatar

A mosque in the middle of Al Najada Shopping Centre
Travelling alone this time I wanted to see more of the Middle East, and Qatar is definitely one of the countries!

Leaving Bahrain riot just before all hell broke loose in Manama made me really happy arriving at Doha airport. A sandy airport with a feeling of being in the middle of the desert, even though the sea and the city of Doha was just next “door”.

The independent desert-state of Qatar is situated in the Southern Arabian Gulf, surrounded by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Iran.
Oil discovery in 1940 transformed Qatar from being a country with very few resources to becoming one of the regions wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues, and seeing the crazy beautiful architecture and buildings, especially in the New District of Doha you’ll definitely understand.

Grabbing a taxi to my pre booked hotel, I got little bit of a first impression of Doha’s old town, and couldn’t wait to see more!
My first walk took me to the beautiful Souq Waqif. As it wasn’t far from the hotel it became a perfect coffee-stop on my walks the days I spent here.
Souq Waqif is
Doha,QatarDoha,QatarDoha,Qatar

Al Najada Shopping Centre and mosque.
an old Souq in the heart of Doha, recently rebuilt looking like a perfect old Souq. And, they really did an amazing good job at it.
With all its restaurants and shops it's a perfect place to get some nice souvenirs, or just enjoying a coffee, looking at all the people wandering about.
This place is definitely worth a visit even if you just have a short stop-over in Doha!

Another sight I really enjoyed is the seven kilometer long and beautiful Doha Cornishe. A palm-fringed promenade which extends in a horseshoe shape around Doha Bay and the city's sea-front to
the New District of Doha. It's quite a walk, but definitely worth it!!
Every night I enjoyed the sunset from the Cornishe across Doha Bay looking at the spectacular skyline of the New District. With its crazy cool architecture lighting up in different colors, you just have to be amazed over this new part of the city!!

Walking the long Cornishe there was quite a lot to see;
- The interesting Museum of Islamic Art.
It houses a magnificent collection of artwork dating from the 7th to the 19th century, representing the full scope of Islamic art.
Doha,QatarDoha,QatarDoha,Qatar

Dohw harbour with the skyline of the New District.
It includes manuscripts, ceramics, metal, glass, ivory, textiles, wood and precious stones from three continents. The building itself is quite special, it's built using Islamic design and considered an Islamic masterpiece.
- Dohw harbor with the skyline of the New District across the bay.
-The New District of Doha, with its crazy cool buildings.
- The Knowledge Enrichment Centre.
A boring floating cultural landmark on Doha Corniche; "connecting the past with the future".

Wandering about in the older part of Doha with hardly any tourists to see, enjoying all the good food, friendly people, looking at all the beautiful architecture, as well as mosques, a camel farm(?), small souqs, Qatars government and Amiri Diwan (Emir's Palace), really made my stay in Doha, Qatar great!

It was time to move on to my next destination, Bangkok, for a bit of work. But if I get the opportunity I will definitely come back and see more of the countryside with its small harbor villages, oases and stuff like that.
...................................................

My tips to other travellers:

Highlights:
Souq Waqif, Doha Cornishe, the crazy cool buildings at The New District of Doha, and of course the food!

Minus:
Long
Doha,QatarDoha,QatarDoha,Qatar

The skyline of the New District of Doha, across Doha Bay.
distance within the city
..........
Cost:
-Restaurant:
Cheap in local restaurants, but expensive at the mid-top restaurants.
-Hotel:
My hotel was a good midrange with really good service:
La Villa Palace Hotel, USD.68/night.
Taxi:
Quite cheap.

Hotel search:
www.venere.com , www.expedia.com , www.booking.com , www.laterooms.com , www.finn.no , www.norwegian.com
........................................................................

SCROLL DOWN AND YOU WILL SEE MORE PICTURES!!
(Travel blog's new site doesn't work well..)
........................................................................


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

The skyline of the New District of Doha, across Doha Bay from the Corniche
Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

New District of Doha, across Doha Bay from the Corniche by night.
Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

The spiral mosque of the Kassem Darwish Fakhroo Islamic Centre is one of Doha’s most famous landmarks. This is not a traditional Qatari mosque but a replica of the Great Mosque of Al-Mutawwakil in Samarra in Iraq.
Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

Qatar's Amiri Diwan (Emir's Palace) by night.
Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

Relaxing men by one of the many mosques in Doha
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

The Museum of Islamic Art houses magnificent collection of artwork dating from the 7th to the 19th century, representing the full scope of Islamic art. It includes manuscripts, ceramics, metal, glass, ivory, textiles,wood and precious stones from three continents. The building itself is built using Islamic design and considered an Islamic masterpiece.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

The Museum of Islamic Art houses magnificent collection of artwork dating from the 7th to the 19th century, representing the full scope of Islamic art. It includes manuscripts, ceramics, metal, glass, ivory, textiles,wood and precious stones from three continents.
Doha,QatarDoha,Qatar
Doha,Qatar

The Museum of Islamic Art houses magnificent collection of artwork dating from the 7th to the 19th century, representing the full scope of Islamic art. It includes manuscripts, ceramics, metal, glass, ivory, textiles,wood and precious stones from three continents.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

The beautiful Souq Waqif, an old Souq in the hart of Doha, recently rebuilt looking like an perfect old Souq. And, they really did a very good job at it. With all its restaurants and shops it's a perfect place to get some nice souvernirs, or just enjoying a coffee, looking at all the people wandering about.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

The beautiful Souq Waqif, an old Souq in the hart of Doha, recently rebuilt looking like an perfect old Souq. And, they really did a very good job at it. With all its restaurants and shops it's a perfect place to get some nice souvernirs, or just enjoying a coffee, looking at all the people wandering about.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

Doha's amazing architecture at the new district.
Doha, QatarDoha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar

The Knowledge Enrichment Centre. A floating cultural landmark on Doha Corniche; "connecting the past with the future".


13th November 2011

Beautiful pictures
Thanks.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb