Race to Qatar


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived here in the month of Ramadan (religious Muslim holy month). This means that no alcohol will be for sale anywhere in Qatar, the shops will be closed from about 2 until sometimes 8 at night but will trade again until midnight.
After Ramadan alcohol can be purchased and enjoyed at hotels and bars/clubs. Then, getting a taxi to take you there is a hopeless case, except if you had booked it at 6 in the morning. Some Indian Sub-continent locals are taking advantage of this and will give you his number to phone if you want to go anywhere. Some of them want to charge you excessive amounts just to take you around the corner- and petrol is cheaper than water here!

Then of course the heat it’s scorching hot hot hot hot! You do not dare go out of your ac apartment during the day, and at night one can take a chance but it's still hot as a oven. If you are brave and take the heat on walking to a store can be a whole different expierience: strange men will whistle, hoot and scream at you to get your attention. Some girls have even been spat at by men in the streets.
Qatari women wear a black Habaya that cover them from head to toes; sometimes we wish we had one to avoid the attention.
The men wear a white robe/dress-like garment called a Dish Dash with another white cloth to cover their heads.

Doha is expanding at a rate I cannot explain and there is construction 24/7. Some of the buildings are so impressive you cannot help but to stare. It’s very modernised and I am still to experience the real Qatari culture. The shops at the shopping halls are all western and expensive. Almost everything in Qatar is imported, so one is happy to see some South African fruit for sale but at a phenomenal amount.
The local markets here are called the Souqs where you can buy all the typical Chinese goods and local fakes'. I noticed mostly Indian Sub-continent shop keepers trying to make a living.

Travelling to the west coast of Qatar will only take you 1h and 30min. On your way there you will see some of the local wild life, the camel and the locals driving their 4x4s on the dunes. We went to Dukhan Beach and attended a farewell party with very nice people that work for the Japanese company building the new airport. The sand is rough, hard and hot.

Then there is the famous Sea-line Beach Resort (to the south of Doha). Famous for what I don’t know as it’s very disappointing for the ridiculous amount one has to pay to enter. At least you can enjoy your bikini but off course with unnecessary attention. Getting a tan can be done in only a few min!

Most people here are from other countries working in all industries. So far I have only spoken to one Qatari man at our training. He was very quiet but when you asked him questions he was happy to answer with good English and a smile.
The Qatari’s like their big cars like the Hummer and other big American 4x4s and they drive at high speeds and are quite dangerous. At every traffic light there will be a camera to catch some red light action and help slap you with a hefty fine.

So like they say here “Galas” (finish)...more travels to come!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The PearlThe Pearl
The Pearl

The pearl industry used to be very big here until they descovered the Oil and Gas.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb