Diving in Oman


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman » Muscat
July 18th 2008
Published: July 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

“ In a departure from usual reporting procedures, this last week-end’s diving is going to be a bit of an epic split into two blogs - one will be full of marine life and eloquence unbounded, the other will detail Dave’s dive trip which bore a remarkable similarity to “Coco the Clown gets on a boat”



I was in Oman again for a meeting, so Dave drove over for the second time that week so we could go diving at the Daminiyat Islands - apparently a marine reserve because of the outstanding natural beauty of the place. It was certainly very nice but whether it stands out from other places on the coast to warrant such special status is, in my humble opinion, dubious. The dive operation was absolutely superb; slick, efficient, good quality gear, nice people and very helpful….shame the boat broke on the way back but we can blame that on Dave’s jinx for the week-end.



On Friday we made two dives - Titto’s Run and The Mousetrap. The dives were good but the water was a bit cloudy. We saw all the usual suspects with a couple of sting rays thrown in
EelsEelsEels

ITs really unusual to see two in the same place
for good measure. Unfortunately there were none of the much vaunted whale sharks that are supposed to inhabit the area.



On Saturday there were again two dives - Police Island and Guno’s Trace. Again, all the usual suspects were there but as well as sting rays, there were turtles, cuttlefish and leopard sharks. There was even a whale shark but I was so busy finning around like a looney with the camera that I missed it !! What a muppet !! The pics from the second day were much than the first…..but we’ll come to that later !!! The second dive was so good that I was down to the low-limit of air in my tank from all the finning around - something that never happens to Dave’s immense frustration. He really can’t fathom out how I manage to have so much air left at the end of each dive while he always uses his up - guess he’ll just have to get fitter and less spudgy….and maybe stop breathing so much !!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb