Harissa and Byblos


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon
April 5th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lebanon is a tiny country the size of Wales, but even so, I didn't leave myself very much time to get around and look at it - hard to drag myself away from Beirut in the end.... However, did manage to get to the grottos at Jeitta - no photos as none allowed, but absolutely stunning and worth seeing and much more staggering than anything you see on the net - then to Harissa and Byblos.

I was in Harissa on Easter Sunday, so everywhere, especially up that enormously steep hill, was really packed. Atmospheric - an intense lone voice singing hymns in Arabic and the occasional ringing of the huge bell tolling over over the hillside...people quietly made their way up the steps to the huge statue of the Virgin Mary. It was quite something.

Byblos was just as I'd imagined it migh be - tiny, colourful and packed with life. Loved it - would have been quite happy to spend a few days there just relaxing. There's a small Crusader fort, Roman ruins and the harbour surrounded by restaurants with wonderful views. And it actually still has a souk ( at long last! It's a bit tidy, but it's there). I bought some boxes - lovely, inlaid - from an old man who had perfect English, a rique sense of humour and a very loud voice. Byblos is also where the alphabet began and it used to be an important trading port. Great little place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Harissa Harissa
Harissa

Lady of Lebanon


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb