48 Hours in Beirut (and Lebanon)


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
July 9th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Thursday afternoon after school was over 11 of us set out for Beirut. The trip didn't get very far because when we got to the bus station Erin had forgotten to switch her passport when she changed bags right before she left. So, Erin and Ashanti stayed behind and got the passport and came a little later. The trip hit another snagp at the border Dragana was not allowed into Lebanon because of her Bosnian passport. She had to get in a cab and head back to Damascus while the rest of us continued on. After another little hang up of not having a hotel lined up at the border we finally were allowed in after a couple hour wait there. We finally arrived in Beirut around 7pm and got settled into our hostel. After everyone was settled we went out to dinner. After that some went out to a club but myself and a few others were tired so we retired to our hostel.

Friday morning 7 of the remaining 9 of us rented a bus and driver for 8 hours and set out to see the country. First stop was Baalbeck. We spent a little over an hour there exploring the ruins. They were all very interesting and quite beautiful. Next it was up into the mountains to the famous cedars. The climb up was absolutely gorgeous looking over the Bekaa Valley and feeling like we were about to fall off the mountain. While it was very hot and humid down of the coast it was very pleasant and almost a bit chilly up the mountains. It was chilly enough that we drove past a few snow fields that were still there in the middle of summer. When we reached the cedars the air was sooo fresh we could not believe. The air in Damascus and Beirut is terrible and smog filled but up in the mountains it was delightful. It was also amazing to see groves, some of which were over 5000 years old (yes the same ones that were mentioned in the Bible). From there it was on to Bcharre. Bchare is a Maronite town way up in the mountains and hangs on the side of a cliff that falls off into no where. It was incredible to see the town built clinging to the mountain side. From there we drove over to the coast and down the motorway along the Mediterranean back to Beiruit while watching the sun set over the water. When we got back we went out for dinner and a few drinks. Mst went out to the club after that but my foot was bothering me and I was tired so I went back to the hostel and turned in for the night.

Saturday we spent the morning at the beach. We somehow managed to get onto the American University in Beirut's private beach and went swimming. It was very pleasant and relaxing. About noon we went and checked out of the hostel and got our ride back to Damascus. The border wasn't as much of an issue getting back into Syria since we had a visa but we still got a little hassle from the men at the border. We were back in Damascus by mid-late afternoon and all in all a very fun trip. I wish I could've stayed another day but the visa rules allow for 48 hours free so that's all the time we got. Enjoy the pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



14th July 2006

Hope you are safe over there.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb