Mud and Salt Day


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Dead Sea
November 21st 2022
Published: November 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunshine dawned and this is a hang-day for us at the Dead Sea Marriott. Car is safely stowed, pools ready to be used and the big activity….MUD and SALT. More on that in a bit, as we had to enjoy the breakfast with lots of choices, including fresh fruit, fresh vegis and of course local food that is fresh and tasty. Ken is even venturing into the local fare and not complaining that “this isn’t breakfast food!”. Ok, salad and grilled vegis are not normally on the day-to-day breakfast menu, but you gotta admit it is healthier than most “normal” breakfast foods.

Now, it was time to head for the beach and check out the mud and float in the sea. Down the paved path, down the stone stairs and soon we were at the private beach at the edge of the large super salty sea. Luckily there was a nice hotel attendant who gave the instructions, get in and get wet, get out and layer on the mud, let it dry about 10 mins and get in again to soak and let it wash off. Key instruction: Do not dive in or get your face in the water.

We waded in and carefully navigated the very rock bottom, and then it was...let the water take you. At that point you can’t sink but can just bob around like a cork. I floated on my back, feet up in front, but Ken had a hard time with that, so kinda did the bicycle thing. The water was weird and a bit slippery but felt great.

After bobbing for a few mins, we got out and found the pot of mud and slathered it all over (face included). We looked stunning. After drying a bit, we waded back in and continued floating for another 10ish mins before hauling ourselves out and washing off in the freshwater showers. I am sure our skin is thanking us.

We spent the rest of the day, relaxing by the pool, swimming laps and getting caught up on reading and writing some of this blog. As it got closer to sunset, we went back to the beach, did a repeat of the morning mud and float, but got to do it with the sunsetting over the mountains of Israel. Nothing like seeing it while floating in the Dead Sea.

We went back to the pool for a few more laps, cleaned up and then enjoyed a nice Italian dinner overlook the Sea with the lights of Jerusalem in the distance and a bit more World Cup Soccer. Tomorrow heading to the Wadi Rum Desert for some glamping!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb