Tripping Through Old Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel
October 16th 1984
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had one day we could ditch the tour group and do our own thing. We were in downtown Jerusalem! What an experience. I do recall walking, and walking and walking, til finally, we decided to take a bus to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. I asked my friend if the busses took American dollars, he didn't know, so I asked a woman reading a newspaper on a bench. She didn't miss a lick... without hardly putting down her paper, she asked me, 'do American busses take Shekels?" You should have seen the egg dripping from my face...


Then we went to 'Old Town'. Went through the Arab markets, bought some good bread to eat. Don't remember the name of it. We found the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, paid the fare, and went in. Incredible. INCREDIBLE. Two groups, the Catholics, and either the Coptics or the Greek Orthedox claim ownership to it, so it's divided into two different areas. I got a good laugh out of that.

Then went outside and just watched. All of a sudden, a procession right out of the middle ages took place... these monks, in ORANGE hooded gowns made their ceremonious walk into the church. INCREDIBLE. Must've been lunch time.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb