Wall Art: Bethlehem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » West Bank » Bethlehem
November 22nd 2011
Published: November 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Israeli separation barrier, made of a combination of fence and concrete wall, can be spotted from nearly everywhere in Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Its ominous contours are unavoidable. Begun in 2002, the wall is set to extend some 470 miles upon completion, several times the length of the Berlin wall which was 96 miles long.

There’s nothing nice about the wall—called the Apartheid Wall by its critics—except for maybe one thing: it’s become a canvas for A LOT of cool graffiti by both Palestinian and foreign artists. The wall even attracted the famous Banksy, an English graffiti artist who keeps his identity secret.

A friend and I found a taxi driver to take us to some of Banksy’s art works in and around Bethlehem. No way we would have found them on our own, especially the one—of a boy throwing flowers—behind a carwash. This driver also happened to be a top body builder in the Middle East. His size left no doubts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Photo Photo
Photo

Sadly this Banksy pic was drawn over
Photo Photo
Photo

Banksy (I think)
Photo Photo
Photo

Banksy
PhotoPhoto
Photo

These Palestinian police actually moved their car so we could take a picture of the dove!
Photo Photo
Photo

Banksy
Photo Photo
Photo

Banksy I saw a photo of this picture and it looks like there was no road when it was drawn: http://www.sunray22b.net/Banksy_Goes_To_Palestine.htm How quickly things change here...


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb