A spontaneous gateway to Tel Aviv


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
July 24th 2014
Published: January 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Travel in Israel is like something delicious you try- once you get to taste it, you don’t want to leave it and you want again, and again, and again or simply leave it…

Having been traveling in Israel 4 other times, ( never to Tel Aviv) always came back home amazed with the contrast in landscapes, the nice and curios people I have met, the colors, aroma and rhythm on the streets , the diversity in religions, languages, cuisines, music, dances etc.

After visiting Jerusalem ( twice), Haifa and Dead Sea, it was turn to Tel Aviv now. Booked the flights and hotel spontaneous- the traveling time was set for end of July 2014.

5 days of sunshine, street performers, shopping and… Israeli cuisine were awaiting me.

Stayed in a hotel on Ha- Yarkon street in a spacious room overlooking the amazing beach in Tel Aviv, on a walking distance from everything I planned to visit- Tel Aviv Yafo, the area around Carmel market, the Bauhaus complex, declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site and if I wanted something new, fast and modern, there was Dizengoff street offering a wide variety of fashion – jewelry and electronic stores, restaurants, cafes, and Dizengoff center ( the first shopping mall in Israel, still looking impressive)..

25th of July ( Friday) was my first official day of exploring Tel Aviv and since a good friend of mine is living in Tel Aviv, I left myself in the hands of the professionals and got ready for an existing morning- including a quick morning stroll on the Carmel market ( colorful, attractive and very delicious )and visiting the festival of arts, crafts, pottery and street performances, happening every Tuesday and Friday on Najalat Binyamin street ( if you have a chance, Do not miss that one).Then it came the time of having a typical Israeli breakfast while catching up from the old times…

They say, “ when in Israel, eat like an Israeli”. A quote full in compliance with my lifestyle. Israel’s diverse population makes its cuisine also amazingly delicious and offering variety, where you be will spoilt to choice.

Below some of my absolute favorites:

Shakshooka ( Egg-and- Tomato Dish), quick to prepare and served attractively hot in the pan. Reader’s ranked it number 1 in hangover cures, as perfect pick-me-up after the boozy night. Two
ShakshookaShakshookaShakshooka

one of my top 5 -Israeli dishes
things about it- really delicious. Could be served spicy or not so, make sure you advice properly before ordering it…

Israeli Salad – made of fresh tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and dressed with fresh lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper.


Hummus and pita bread – Claimed by several Middle Eastern countries of being their national dishes, that two could be the secret recipe for peace in the Middle East. Not sure to which country it does belong or where it was made first, but once is for sure, all Middle Eastern countries I have visited are experts in making it ….

The beach

As a person, who grew up close to the beach, I always like to stay close to it. The beach in Tel Aviv is great – wide enough, covered with fine sand, not overcrowded with a great choice in cafes and restaurants on the well maintained beach promenade. The water is warm and very clear, being great for all kind of water sports almost around the year.

Yafo ( Jaffa) was One of my favorite spots while in Tel Aviv. I’ve managed to visit it twice- once by sunset and one during the day. Situated in the southern edge of Tel Aviv, offering fantastic views to modern Tel Aviv, this city claimed to be one of the oldest ports in the world. Walking on its the streets was a like walk though the centuries – cobbled streets, art galleries situated in the old Yafo-houses, a mosque, church and synagogue, just to show once again, that Israel belongs to all of them, an interesting flea market, numerous cafes and restaurants, beautiful garden etc. etc.



Dead Sea

During my visit in Israel, didn’t miss the opportunity of floating once again effortlessly upon the buoyant waters of Dead Sea by booking a tour via the hotel reception. When I first went to Dead Sea with friends two years ago, we were recommended to go to Kalia beach…. This time, the group was going to Jericho. I personally liked Kalia Beach better, as it was more happening around it, but anyway no matter from which side you enter Dead sea the result is same- floating nicely in the lowest point on Earth while enjoying the unique dessert- sceneries around, visiting an unique natural spa, leaving your skin feeling soft and fresh. On the way back, to Tel Aviv was somehow quit in the bus, as we all know Spa can be really tiring sometimes.

By the time, I was visiting Israel, July 2014, was considered as a tension time to travel in Israel, which was to be feel mostly on the streets and in the air…Famous as “the city that never sleeps”, with street full day and night, now there were not so much, but in m eyes Tel Aviv was still seen as a modern city with an old and rich historian background with diverse population, customs and events for everyone. As this time, the purpose of visiting was to feel the atmosphere mostly on the street and taking part in more relaxing events, I promised myself that next time I visit Tel Aviv will go deeper into the history and culture. The list of desired museums and places of visit is in progress…


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

" Lemonana"" Lemonana"
" Lemonana"

my favorite drink in Israel- freshly squeezed lemons and ground sprigs of mint,could be blended into smoothie.
Jewish pizzaJewish pizza
Jewish pizza

at the Carmel market
Ha- Yarkon street Ha- Yarkon street
Ha- Yarkon street

a street performers, singing " We will survive", when when the sirens in Tel Aviv, warned that there is a rocket flying near...


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb