Day 2 1st Full Day in Israel


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
November 10th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The day began with breakfast. We passed on the pickled fish and salad, but had excellent eggs, potatoes, fruit, pastry, and coffee. We met our guide, Anat, who met us exactly on time. Following a brief driving tour of Tel Aviv ("new hill") we toured our first historic site. The Ayalon underground munitions factory was a secret ammunition factory which operated during the British Mandate. During a three year period, about 2.25 million shells were manufactured here and which were used during the early days of Israel. The factory existed under a laundry and bakery which were both used by the British. It was totally illegal, and one of the best kept secrets of this period. It was even secret from the Jews who were not specifically involved. All of those not privy to this knowledge were known as "giraffes." (their heads are up high, not seeing what is below them). Fascinating!

We then toured the Palmach Museum which is run by the Israeli military. The Palmach was the military arm of the Haganah, and the precursor of the Israeli army. It is very well done, and involves walking through about 12 rooms which tell the story of this organization from its beginnings until the end of the War of Independence, 1947-9. Going through this museum is a requirement for Israeli troops. We went through it with a group of soldiers, about two dozen or so. (We were the only non-Israelis, or civilians, for that matter).

We then moved on for a quick look at Jaffa, which has a few ruins on the south side of Tel Aviv, followed by lunch in an open air market. It was a very colorful and lively, as markets tend to be. Anat then dropped us off near the beach for a walk back to the hotel. The weather is perfect! Clear skies, high 70's/low 80,s. We strolled along the boardwalk, then back through a commercial area to our hotel. Jet lag still being a bit of an issue, we took about a 2 hour nap, then went back out on the street for frozen yogurt/fresh fruit, followed by a cappuccino in another street cafe. All in all, a very nice day.

Now, for an impression. . . I was expecting to see visible security and having some sense of tension in the air. Wrong! We have seen virtually no police, and people are very casually clothed, and just out enjoying the city. Tel Aviv is a young city, and vibrant. It is kind of like the New York of Israel as a commercial center. It has been a very pleasant day, and we are looking forward to tomorrow which will focus much more on older history, primarily along the northern coast.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb